UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:18 am   #21
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: N4510 help needed

The step across the gap has been there since day one, I should think, so the thing worked with it at one time. Doesn't preclude other faults with the head, of course, and it's indicative of poor QC in production, but on its own it's not a deal-breaker.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 10:23 am   #22
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
The step across the gap has been there since day one, I should think, so the thing worked with it at one time. Doesn't preclude other faults with the head, of course, and it's indicative of poor QC in production, but on its own it's not a deal-breaker.
OK thanks for that Ted.

I`ll keep digging .
Old 11th Oct 2018, 1:04 pm   #23
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

As always Ted you were spot on , it was the tape that was the issue not the head . its not "incredible" but then I never expected it to be , it does sound mighty good though . The problem with the older one was a shorted pin on one of the record boards throwing a spanner in the works .

Many thanks for all the help and advice as always . More lessons learned from these ones . Onward we go .
Old 11th Oct 2018, 1:56 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

A lot of Philips heads looked like that from new but they always worked OK.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 12:13 am   #25
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK guys , I am STILL having this weird voltage situation with these decks (both of them).

In the calibration , it say to inject a 333hz signal into tape in / out at 100mV , then adjust R4 to get 1V out of the monitor . It doesnt say RMS or P2P or just P and here`s the issue.

this is now happening on BOTH of these players so it can`t be me or the decks .

I`m putting in 100mV RMS (0.283 reading on my scope as it only measures in p2p) into the machine , and I can`t get 1V (2.83v P2P) out . Probably more like just over double that and it wont come down .

If I put 100mV peak to peak into it , I can`t get it UP to 1V

So it has to be peak voltage they are using here right ? It doesn`t say so in the manual , but its got to be hasn't it or am I just going mad again ?

David

P.s. i could have my rms and peak to peak the wrong way round but you will understand what I`m saying , using one its too high , using the other its too low , so it has to be peak right ? (I havent tried that yet , I`ve stopped for the night before I break something .lol)
Old 12th Oct 2018, 11:14 am   #26
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK so it is a fault somewhere with both machines . One side of the newer one IS working with RMS , so I`m now fault finding on both of them , I think its something on the switch panel causing it on the newer one , the record switch for instance is intermittent so I`ll start there .
Old 12th Oct 2018, 12:54 pm   #27
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

OK , I cleaned the record volume slider and it made the trace stable but it still didn't give me the values I was looking for , so , I re-capped the volume control panel and boom all is well in dodge now , so the Philips caps had failed . I replaced them with good quality Panasonic's and now the levels are all as they should be in RMS. So now I know where to look on the other one too . Awesome .
Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:43 pm   #28
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

New one is now done and dusted , all levels as the should be , needles working correctly and now sounds brilliant ! . On to the older one .
Closed Thread