UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2008, 11:18 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Workshop rebuild

As I mentioned in another posting, I've completely rebuilt my workshop. Previously I operated from an 8' x 6' garden shed, albeit lined and insulated, but I had literally run out of space. So I took the plunge...

The new workshop in the garden is based on a 3m by 3m 'log cabin' but with double glazing, twin wall construction with thermal insulation, and an insulated roof with a skylight. This makes it a habitable room, warm in winter and cool in summer, and hopefully airtight enough to keep out the spiders and wasps that tried to take over my old shed!

I spent a lot of time working out the layout, even to the extent of laying out paper cut-outs (to scale) of the larger pieces of furniture and equipment on a scale plan of the building. There is a test bench, equipped with fully isolated variable voltage (0-260V) mains supply, variable LT and HT power supplies, several signal generators from audio up to 500MHz, and four oscilloscopes ranging from a restored Cossor 339A to a Gould OS250B. I have a central workbench that I can get at from all sides (wonderful!), a ham radio shack housed in an old bureau, and floor-to-ceiling shelving for the radio collection. My valve collection is housed in an old merchant's chest below the test bench, and my collection of 78s is on a steel shelving unit behind the component racks. There are no less than 18 twin 13 amp socket outlets.

The attached thumbnails give some idea of the size of the building during construction, and the inside of the finished product. You can see the Cossor Oscilloscope Corner better in this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=31815.

This workshop was designed for my retirement in a couple of years time - when I hope to have more free time to devote to the cause - and will probably outlast me. And for what it's worth, the contents are ultimately bequeathed to the BVWS in my will!

Regards all,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workshop 003.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	19593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workshop 004.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	19594   Click image for larger version

Name:	wccav.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	19595  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 1st Sep 2008, 1:49 am   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Workshop rebuild

Hello Phil,

That looks just great! A place for just about everything, and everything in its place. Super!

I've been planning something similar for the last year or so now. I originally intended to purchase a large self-assembly shed and convert, but couldn't find anything suitable. So instead I've decided to construct from scratch a 16 x 12 feet wooden framed building to my own design. Much easier to get things exactly how I want them that way. Looking at your finished workshop has renewed my enthusiasm for getting mine finished sooner rather than later!

Well done and I hope you enjoy many a happy hour there!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 1st Sep 2008, 7:33 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Workshop rebuild

Yes, well done Phil!
I can see that a lot of forethought went into that; I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who uses 'paper templates' when it comes to furniture-in-a-room planning. Incidentally, what are you using for heating in your new den?
An Englishman's home is his . . . shed!

Al / Skywave.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 8:05 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Very nice indeed, Phil - can't see the bed or coffee pot, though!

You won't be able to find anything until it gets untidied-up a bit more.

My "workshop" is half of my office (that has an Advance B4A sig genny like yours as well!) and for the big stuff, I fitted and insulated a partition to chop the double garage in two - this has three lathes, bench drill and milling machine, and, of course, another Avo 8 and Weller iron. I've heard that some folk even keep cars in them - mad dogs and Englishmen, y'know.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 2:36 pm   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

Very nice, Phil. I'm embarking upon the fitting-out of a new workshop, once it's delivered that is. You've given me a good example to work from. Great stuff - every home should have one.
-Tony
Old 1st Sep 2008, 3:42 pm   #6
Brased
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4SPZ View Post
You can see the Cossor Oscilloscope Corner better in this thread
You look well set up for some serious workshop time. I see that you've balanced the load on the bench from the Cossor scopes by the Marconi signal generators on the other end. That should keep the subsidence level.

Edward
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 9:05 am   #7
davidw
Heptode

Nice workshop..Mrs W wants to know why I've turned a very green colour!!
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 11:31 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hi chaps, and thank you for all your kind comments. Certainly, a man needs his shed (I had my first shed at age 11) and it's nice to know that others out there are doing similar things with vintage technology in detached wooden buildings, and that, like Tony says, people's enthusiasm remains undiminished!

Al - a 1kW thermostatic fan heater on a time switch is in there ready for the winter, although I'm hoping it won't need much heating. Edward - yep, the combined weight of the elderly test gear is considerable, but I forgot to mention that the workbenches are 35mm thick kitchen-type worktops on sturdy battens and thick metal legs. The building itself weighs nearly 3 tonnes according to the delivery driver... the pic shows the 'kit' just offloaded.

David - suggest to your wife that she buys you one for Christmas and restores your facial colour to normal. Mike - no coffee pot as yet, and no lathe either - I had to dismantle my late father's workshop which contained a 6" Colchester Student weighing over 400kg, never again! And rrdmpb - your proposed workshop will dwarf mine, but go for it, it sounds fantastic, all that space to fill with radios. Will you ever be able to afford them all?

Thanks again and best regards to all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	logs on drive.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	19641  

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 2nd Sep 2008 at 11:33 pm. Reason: Comment added
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 8:11 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4SPZ View Post
A 1kW thermostatic fan heater on a time switch is in there ready for the winter, although I'm hoping it won't need much heating.
Have you considered a dehumidifier as well, Phil? I have had one in my garage-cum-workshop for a few years now; it gives off a slight amount of heat as well, and there is no condensation at all in winter.

My heating is one of those very efficient 1200W halogen heaters - usually about a tenner now. I sometimes use a fan heater as well, if I am brave enough to venture out when it's freezing.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:16 am   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The use of a dehumidifier is mission critical all the year around and do a superb job in a well insulated building even when there is no heating available

David
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:43 am   #11
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Workshop rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Have you considered a dehumidifier as well, Phil? .
And a smoke detector for all the DAC90's

fabulous shed, should be rentable by the hour

Geof
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 12:47 pm   #12
Mullard
Pentode

I put some old storage heaters in mine. They use cheap rate electricity and keep the temperature high enough to stop condensation. I fitted a small consumer unit to supply the lights and sockets with MCBs and RCDs. A timeswitch powers the storage heaters during the off peak period. I can open up the storage heater vents a little when I am in there to lift the temperature, or switch on a fan heater.

I hope you find time to use it. Retirement is a full time occupation!

John
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 1:07 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Great job Phil but I'm surprised at the weight! Although I'm lucky and have lots of "in-house" space available to me it's never enough of course [even though I really do very little actual workshop type "work"]. I still think about more room ie sheds [not on the Gerry Wells scale]. Much cheaper if you've got the time, stamina and ability to build it yourself of course. The secret is in the base I think. My basic [actual] garden shed has lasted twenty years on a sub frame of old joists covered with plastic! Ready made models like this these days, often have a low pitch roof that removes potential space and a low height doorway that removes the top of the head. I'm planning a workshop version to a full eight foot height, 6' 6" central doorway [opening outwards and sealing like a fridge], flat [ish] eco roof [turf insulated] with windows down it's centre, absolutely maximising space Will it ever happen? er.. Dave W
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 9:02 pm   #14
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Now there are some good ideas, thanks chaps, especially the dehumidifier. The building has 70mm of phenolic foam insulation between two 28mm thick tongue-and-groove plank walls, as per the photo. Incidentally, the good-looking chaps are my son Stephen and my friend David - I'm the fat bloke behind the camera. Similarly the roof has 70mm insulation, plus the windows are all double glazed, so I do hope that damp and condensation - the kiss of death to some vintage gear - will be a thing of the past. However, dehums are quite cheap nowadays, so I'll monitor conditions over this winter and invest in one if needed.

I agree that a firm and stable base is vitally important, so much so that I paid David, a landscape gardener, to lay a nice flat level base of 25 slabs bedded on concrete...

Once again, thanks for all your kind words. Can't stay chatting though, I'm off down the shed... oh! I nearly forgot to mention this! The shed is definitely going to remain a Computer-Free Zone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	prepared foundations.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	19666   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermal insulation.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	19667   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished!.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19668  

Old 3rd Sep 2008, 9:49 pm   #15
mark pirate
Dekatron

I am green with envy, i am planning to move house (if i can sell it!) next year
& my main consideration is a large outbuilding to house my workshop & large collection of radios (& a few tv's) as i tend to 'live' in my workshop, the house is of secondary importance

Mark
Closed Thread