UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2008, 12:03 am   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Ekco T283 television restoration

Hello there,
I got this set recently from Neil and I decided today to get it working It has a 14" round CRT. After removing the chassis I replaced all of the wax capacitors (mains filter one had already blown itself apart) and the main smoothing electrolytic which was bulging and covered in that white powder stuff around the seal. I cleaned the chassis where the mains filter capacitor had dumped all of its wax.

The EHT visconol capacitor had already been removed and the metrosil was also removed as it was not connected at one end. I cannot see any issues with these 2 components left out of the circuit and the picture quality is good.

I managed to break the channel selector knob when removing it (grubscrews but no obvious way to get to them !) so this will need to be sorted out.
A wrong rated fuse in the fuseholder replaced

After winding it up on the variac up came sound and afterwards line whistle. a good picture appeared and after twiddling the height width and linearity knobs gave a good stable picture.
There were white dots all over the picture as the EHT rectifier was close to the metalwork and arking across. After moving it no more problems.
I then watched a few programmes using the Domino convertor for several hours with no drift or other problems coming to light.

The picture below is a bit grotty and the picture displayed was not that great either, my camera does not like low light with the flash switched off (cant see the screen with flash on!)

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ekco tv 1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	19426  

Last edited by high_vacuum_house; 25th Aug 2008 at 12:12 am.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 12:13 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco T283 television restoration

Nice set. Capacitors replaced and switch on. What state is the LOPT in on this set. Some of them tend to sort of melt!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 8:43 am   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

The LOPT cage is in good order except that the support for the EY51 base had broken off and this was responsible for the arcing as the EY51's base came too close to the metalwork. I may put a cable tie around it to keep it in place.

I forgot to add that this set has quite a bright CRT even without the metrosil and visconol capacitors.

Christopher Capener
Old 25th Aug 2008, 8:52 am   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
... What state is the LOPT in on this set. Some of them tend to sort of melt!....
The LOPT housing may be a complete mess of disintegrating plastic but the LOPT itself is likely to be fine. This wisdom was from John Wakely (HKshort in the forum) who has vast experience of Ekco and many others. This was certainly the case with my T311 LOPT.

Post #12 in this thread shows my rebuilt T311 LOPT assembly:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...highlight=t311

I've got another old Ekco tucked away somewhere. It might be a T283, from memory it's a 14" round tube set.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 10:24 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Is the EHT rectifier not a U25 in an Ekco? I'm not being picky, just testing my memory!
Old 25th Aug 2008, 10:37 am   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Brilliant job! I had one of these as a 'first TV' when I was in my teens (around 1968). I had it for a good few years before passing it on to someone else. I think the EHT rec should be a U25 (different heater voltage to EY51 I think)?? I remember the set I had had a very loud line whistle but the picture quality was exceptional. I remember the fun I had removing the CRT in it's cradle and then having to remove the implosion screen at the front to clean all the sooty marks off. Happy days!

Rich.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 11:11 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It is indeed a U25 with a 2v heater; the EY51 has, of course, a 6.3v heater. AFAIK it should be possible to put your own heater winding with more turns on the LOPTx if needed.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 1:00 pm   #8
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

When new these were a superb set, and a popular one too.
That one looks in excellent condition, and it's nice to see one running again.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 3:48 pm   #9
neil29
Heptode

Hi christopher. i removed the capacitor as it was leaking. but other than finding some screws for the back cover ive not done anything else to it since i got it from jon. oh and its looking good so far. cheers neil.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 8:06 pm   #10
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Many thanks for the comments I will try and put a better picture of it working in a few days time.
It is a U25 EHT rectifier not a EY51

Christopher Capener
Old 25th Aug 2008, 8:22 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Great receivers! The T283 gives a super picture with good black level due to the improved AGC circuit. It is quite in order to leave the metrosil and eht capacitor out of circuit. The CRT is a CRM141 or CRM142. The later has an external coating and this of course requires earthing to chassis via a spring or similar. The CRM141 is not externally coated but the capacity of the rather large bulb to chassis does provide a degree of EHT smoothing. If the brilliance is good but the contrast control tends to send the picture negative at high settings, check the forward and backward resistance of the vision detector diode mounted on the top of the final vision I.F. transformer. Its mounted under a small 'lid' that can be removed after the retaining clip has been sprung off. It will work reliably for hours on end once the LOPT case has been sorted out. Check the information for the T330 series that has been posted a while back. Most, if not all of it applies to the T283/4. Good luck with it. regards, John.
Old 25th Aug 2008, 10:35 pm   #12
Danny
Heptode

Hi i have just finnished one of these sets i wasnt so lucky my tube went internal oc connections but got a tube and shasis from auction fitted the tube with the coils ect that came with it and had an ht short ? fitted my origanal coils and perfect picture. the second set of coils are wired diffrently from my origanal sets coils. also the knobs are diffrent on both sets but both have the same model no. nice to see another set saved and working. Danny

Oh is that a vidor to the right ?
Old 25th Aug 2008, 10:42 pm   #13
Tazman1966
Nonode

Nice job Christopher...and another set saved. I look forward to some more pics.

Cheers,
Old 25th Aug 2008, 10:49 pm   #14
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

I had one of these as a lad and I remember trying to get a reasonable picture in order to watch the Investiture of the Prince of Wales in 1969 (I failed). The channel selector knob was always fragile on this range of sets. As I remember, It's removed by removing a circular metal clip just inboard of the channel numbers then taking off the rim. Line up a hole in the fine tuning control with the hole in the knob, which I think is at right angles to the "fin", and the grubscrew (possibly two at right angles).
My parents rented our first telly, a Ferranti 17" version with a VHF radio which had a very similar chassis. Great to see one working again!
Cheers de Pete

P.S. Just had a thought! After taking the rim off the channel knob as above, it may pass through the hole in the cabinet front without having to take it off the shaft.
Old 26th Aug 2008, 8:38 pm   #15
Sideband
Dekatron

The picture on the set I had was also superb. In 1968 when I got mine, I used it every day on returning from school. I'd only changed a few valves and the visconol (you could get new ones back in those days). In 1969 I sat up and watched the first moon landing on it.

Great set and well worth preserving.

Rich.

Was it really 40 years ago?
Old 1st Sep 2008, 11:01 pm   #16
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

just noticed this . very good
Closed Thread