UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2020, 2:28 pm   #1
Simon1957
Diode

Default Decca SRG898.

I have a Decca SRG 898 stereogram with a BSR deck. I need to renew the wiring and fit a new stylus. Does anyone have a set of photos that would assist please?
Thanks
Old 13th Jul 2020, 4:42 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca SRG898.

What wiring do you need to renew, do you mean just the mains lead?
Old 13th Jul 2020, 6:27 pm   #3
Simon1957
Diode

Hi Edward, the mains feed is fine, I just need to renew the tone arm wiring which was very brittle and fit a suitable stylus. I have a local shop which can assist me but I need to remove the tonearm first.

I'm happy with the mains supply, but when I sourced the stereogram (a long held want by my partner) the stylus housing was damaged and the arm wiring connectors were disintegrated. I'm trying to sort this by 1st August for her birthday. I am used to working with low voltage and 12V systems.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Simon
Old 13th Jul 2020, 8:14 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It may not be necessary to remove the tone arm, which should be avoided if at all possible. You can buy a new 4 wire stereo tone-arm wiring "harness" online. Very cheap. I suspect you will have a BSR stereo cartridge type BSR SC12M in your autochanger. Please advise. Styli are readly available from Musonic, Mantra Auto, The Stylus Lady et al. You can get LPS/LPS or LPS/78 flip-under types. I'm surprised you say that the wiring is brittle, it might be just broken off at the connectors at the rear of the cartridge. If so no need to re-wire at all? Just fit new connectors and then push back on with tweezers. BUT do make a note of which colored wire goes to which pin e.g. Red to RH+.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 8:32 pm   #5
Station X

I don't understand why the OP needs to remove the tone arm.

Pictures showing the stylus, cartridge and its connections would help us to give the best advice.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread