UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 20th May 2020, 6:32 pm   #1
RojDW48
Octode

Default Most of a Hacker MC600 music centre FOC

A neighbour gave me this and I have harvested the turntable and board for another project. Nothing at all DC powered works, so the power supply probably needs attention. Lid has come adrift but all the woodwork is there.

Pick up from Whitchuch Village on the A37 just south of Bristol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340130.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	206297  
Old 24th May 2020, 12:07 am   #2
RojDW48
Octode

Default Re: Most of a Hacker MC600 music centre FOC

One bump before it's off to the tip. I will pull boards if it helps - for P&P, and saw up the rest for kindling.
Old 24th May 2020, 12:17 am   #3
paulsherwin

There's a nice big ferrite rod in there, and maybe some useful transistors too. The complete boards would be useful for any beginner who wants a collection of bits and bobs.

The tape head is worth saving if it's not worn.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 12:29 am   #4
AC/HL

If it helps to whet anyone's appetite for parts: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...9&postcount=12
Old 24th May 2020, 8:54 pm   #5
ekjdm14
Banned

Would've been all over this, but sadly the wrong Whitchurch for us!

Shame, it looks like a pretty decent unit as music centres go.
ekjdm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 9:04 pm   #6
Karen O
Heptode

The cassette deck looks eminently salvageable!
Could be re-cased quite effectively methinks.

Does Dr Who use Old New Stock parts for his/her Tardis?
Karen O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 9:08 pm   #7
paulsherwin

While that's possible, decent cassette decks are hardly thin on the ground at the moment, and there's little demand for them, despite all the talk of the 'cassette revival' a few years ago.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 10:44 pm   #8
mhennessy
Dekatron

Made by Nakamichi, for what that's worth.

Actually, it's quite a nice one - the same one used in the Hacker HCD1000. I did post a load of internal photos on the Hacker group many years back. It even has Dolby, implemented completely discretely. It wouldn't be difficult to build a wooden case for it.

If I wasn't so short of space, I'd be tempted to have it for spares for mine. If you do end up breaking it, I'd be interested in one or two of the PCBs and perhaps a couple of the knobs if they're in decent shape.
mhennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 3:05 pm   #9
Karen O
Heptode

KO:
Quote:
The cassette deck looks eminently salvageable!
Could be re-cased quite effectively methinks.
PS:
Quote:
While that's possible, decent cassette decks are hardly thin on the ground at the moment, and there's little demand for them, despite all the talk of the 'cassette revival' a few years ago.
Since when did I need a rational reason for doing something like this

Does Dr Who use Old New Stock parts for his/her Tardis?

Last edited by Karen O; 25th May 2020 at 3:08 pm. Reason: Improve context
Karen O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 3:26 pm   #10
mhennessy
Dekatron

I can help with dimensions, etc, as I have an example of the Hacker HCD1000 (the stand-alone version of that deck).

If it can wait until lockdown has been eased a bit more, I do have relatives in that neck of the woods, so could collect the unit and extract the PCBs that I'm interested in - that gets it a bit nearer to you, if that helps?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 25th May 2020, 7:24 pm   #11
RojDW48
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
I can help with dimensions, etc, as I have an example of the Hacker HCD1000 (the stand-alone version of that deck).

If it can wait until lockdown has been eased a bit more, I do have relatives in that neck of the woods, so could collect the unit and extract the PCBs that I'm interested in - that gets it a bit nearer to you, if that helps?

Cheers,

Mark
Are you referring my neck of the woods...or Karen's??. As there seems to be some interest in the bits - I'll pull them out. Unless someone really wants the wood work I shall dispose of it - it's a big old lump!
Old 25th May 2020, 8:55 pm   #12
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi RojDW48,

Yes, I meant your neck of the woods. By collecting the guts from you, that gets the cassette section closer to Karen if she'd like it

As mentioned, it's unlikely to happen until the current situation eases, but if that's OK with you, then that's great. I can't make use of the woodwork, so please feel free to dispose of that. As you say, there's a lot of it. The version I've got, which has a Sanyo cassette deck, is even bigger!

Many thanks,

Mark
Old 26th May 2020, 12:05 am   #13
RojDW48
Octode

OK Mark - I shall pull it apart. I hate consigning things like this to the dustbin. And neighbour Mike will be very pleased that a bit of transplant surgery will keep some of it going!

Roger
Old 26th May 2020, 1:02 am   #14
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Roger,

That's great - thank you! Will get in touch via PM when the restrictions have eased.

All the best,

Mark
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:14 am   #15
RojDW48
Octode

Hello Mark - it's all pulled apart now and it fits into a fairly compact box! I was quite impressed with the accessibility - apart from one aluminium screw headed bolt in the mounting of each of the audio amps - seized solid - I had to drill out the heads. The other mounts were brass (I think) and I couldn't see any justification for the variation I expect Hacker had a good reason for incorporating that - any ideas?
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:09 pm   #16
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Rob,

Thanks for going to all that effort - hopefully that means the remains won't be causing too much of a storage problem between now and when I can collect them

No, I'm not sure why Hacker did that. My best guess would be that they were recycling an existing bit of metalwork - or perhaps the electrical design changed after they'd fixed the metalwork? I've no idea how many music centres they made, but would guess the numbers weren't huge, so re-purposing rather than re-tooling would probably have been the most cost-effective way, I'd guess.

The version I have uses the larger Sanyo deck, whereas yours is the later A model, which isn't quite as wide as the earlier version. From memory, I can't immediately think if that might have had a knock-on on the metalwork, but I'll compare your bits to mine to see if there are any clues from that angle. I've been meaning to do a bit of a write-up about this unit for some time, so this might prompt me to get my act together. I took a lot of photos outside with my DSLR when I got the unit, so the hard part of the job has been done.

I'll be in touch as soon as it's safe to visit our family. We're not sure when that will be (as there is shielding involved) but rest assured it will be as soon as we humanly can.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 8th Jun 2020, 12:03 am   #17
RojDW48
Octode

Not a problem for storage - it represents a fairly small fraction of the far-too-much stuff I already have! As for those bolts - the fixing brackets were countersunk just for the Al bolts, so something was going on. I shall get a 2m stick and point them out to you when you come!!