UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2008, 4:48 pm   #41
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Swapmeet in North West (23rd Nov)

It was certainly a great day out - we went back to sunny Yorkshire in time for our afternoon brew. Took the scenic route through Leigh to see what remained of the place when I worked there.

Good to talk to many members, some of whom I already know, other whose faces I put names to. Didn't see you, Brian, nor Dave Walsh. Oh well, there's always next time; that's certainly one I'll be going to.

I think Steve_P was disappointed with no tellies to fix, but got landed with a vintage clock radio instead!
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 5:03 pm   #42
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer Dave View Post
A very good day out! Many thanks to Mark (do it again please), the BVWS and all the others involved.

I thought a good attendance, especially on such a filthy day. A great opportunity to put faces to names and meet some existing friends.

I will certainly be supporting any future venture in this area.

Dave
That says it for me as well, excellent event

John
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 5:04 pm   #43
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Unfortunately for various reasons I wasn't able to make it this time round.

I'm glad you all had a good time though - and I suppose it means I saved some money!

Regards,
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 5:04 pm   #44
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Was a very good day indeed and good to see some old faces again, such a pity about the weather but it sill seemed a good turnout and was nice to have another event up north. bought some books, and a pye sunrise for just £20 so was very happy with that and it took all my willpower not to buy that bush tv2 oh if only i had the space. really hope we have another bvws event up here.

Jay
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 8:30 pm   #45
Mikey405
Octode

I enjoyed it very much too. It was excellent, even though I got stitched up with a ancient clapped-out Bush console TV after swearing that I wasn't going to buy anything. Thanks everyone who organised it.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 8:35 pm   #46
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mikey you love it!!!
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 8:42 pm   #47
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

oki doki big thanks to everyone that attended, Steve P and dylis (trouble again cos it is spelt wrong)! steve harris, alan marchant and all the others who had tables, you all made it a great day!
Big thanks to Murphy Mad and the 405 line tv guy Russ ( I tried my best to get a TV to no avail) i need another cunning plan!
Thanks to everyone that traveled great distances to come...............even bonny scotland!
My missus and mum in law for tea and cake.....
I thouroghly enjoyed the day and managed to sneak some stuff in!

cheers Mark
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 9:04 pm   #48
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I had a great day in spite of snow and blizzards at the start of our journey. I would like to thank Mark and all the others involved for making it all possible. If others hear about this event I am sure even more people will be attending the next one. What with free parking and the most reasonably priced refreshments I have seen for a long time. I rate today 11 out of 10! John.
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 9:19 pm   #49
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Mark,

thanks for organising an excellent event!

It was worth the long trip up from Southampton, and I'll definatly try to make the next one.

Apologies if I missed anyone, but I seemed to get involved in repairing a clock radio.......

Jim.
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 9:22 pm   #50
stevekendal
Heptode

Cheers Mark, great day out and I can think about repairing radios once more, now that I can get to the workbench. Good of you guys to help me in with the stuff after my very late arrival. (M6 shut at Preston). Nice to see the chairman there and other faces to put to the names on here. Now, wheres my soldering iron Steve
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 9:37 pm   #51
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Mender View Post
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mikey you love it!!!
Well, okay, maybe just a bit Mark...
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 10:06 pm   #52
stuie319
Pentode

Ahhh I'm envious now I didnt manage to make it
Hopefully next time though, looks like it was a good turn out, I'm glad folks had a good day,

Regards,
Stu
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 10:12 pm   #53
igranic
Rest in Peace

Congratulations and sincere thanks to Mark (the Mender) for organizing this excellent event and for all his hard work, to the BVWS Committee for supporting it, and to everyone who made the effort to be there on such a foul day for traveling. Nice venue (with capacity for future expansion into other rooms), convenient parking, easy access. Good refreshments served with a smile by Mark's wife. Superb display of working vintage televisions. The creme of stallholders with lots of really interesting radios, TVs, and components.

It was so nice to put faces to forum names of so many of our friends in the north - I lost count of the number of people that introduced themselves when they noticed my avatar tucked in my top pocket.

And, I painlessly parted with quite a few of my cherished (and cherishable) 'treasures'.

I am really looking forward to the next Lowton swapmeet.

Edward

(p.s. Mark, Your 'cunning plan' is safe with me!)
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 10:27 pm   #54
Steve_P
Dekatron

Nice to meet everyone, see faces old and new and a good venue too. Well done Mark. When's the next one?

My idea was to be a Northern One-Armed Gerry Wells, only without the brain. Seriously, it's an idea to be worked on for the next event. Like bring all my stuff. Dilys thought that putting me behind a table running 'Bodgitt and Scaper Radio Repair' would stop me going round other stalls buying stuff. Still got 2 radios, a tape recorder and a TV though.

Roll on the next one!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 11:29 pm   #55
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks to all involved, a good day out even though I didn't buy any tellys!

Dom
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 11:35 pm   #56
Tazman1966
Nonode

Thanks to all involved. It was good to meet a few new faces and catch up with a few old ones too. Shame we three arrived just as the 405 line tv display was switched off. Next time we'll get there earlier in the day.

Cheers,
Old 24th Nov 2008, 6:18 pm   #57
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As others have said, "A Grand Day Out". Crawling single-file down the snow-covered northern reaches of the M6 in the pre-dawn hours adding a bit of excitement.

At least I managed to rehome all the larger items which I brought - making room (both in the car and back at base) for the items which I picked up at the event. I even just about covered the cost of bringing stuff to sell - financially equivalent to giving things away, but more fun!
Old 25th Nov 2008, 7:24 am   #58
Neil Purling
Nonode

I bought another example of one of those kit radios.
I think it was a from forum member too, Igranic maybe? Don't be offended, I have the same trouble with names anywhere else.

Fantastic display of 405 line TVs. The Bush TV62 had a cracking picture, the best B&W display I have seen for ages! It could have been 'factory fresh'. I remember 'Andy Pandy' from Watch with Mother and the tail end of the B&W Minstrel shows.

Anyway I enjoyed the event and sold enough stuff myself so that I got the kit radio for free. So I then splurged on the Gerry Wells DVD 'Valveman'.
Old 25th Nov 2008, 12:26 pm   #59
igranic
Rest in Peace

In preparation, I had diligently printed copies of schematics or service information for most of the 'treasures' I took to the swapmeet, but then entirely forgot to hand them over. Please PM me if you had something from my table but did not receive the associated information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
I bought another example of one of those kit radios.
I think it was a from forum member too, Igranic maybe? Don't be offended, I have the same trouble with names anywhere else....
Neil,
If I recall correctly, it was a Premier Radio kit based on a Repanco design.

“Through memory we travel against time, through forgetfulness we follow its course.” Joubert.

Edward
Old 25th Nov 2008, 1:36 pm   #60
Neil Purling
Nonode

I got another pair of images of the diagram from the Net.
Hopefully the component values will be clearer.
Closed Thread