UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:23 pm   #1
giraffenigel
Tetrode

Default 300 series wall bracket?

Someone asked me to try and get them a wall bracket for their 300 series telephone - similar to the Bakelite ones made for the 200 series. I told them that I didn't think such a thing was ever made because all the popular 300 series table models had a wall version equivalent already - is this correct or was there a wall bracket made specifically for the 300s?

Thanks, Nigel
Old 4th Dec 2017, 12:26 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 300 series wall bracket?

Nigel, I think you're right.
Old 4th Dec 2017, 1:43 pm   #3
giraffenigel
Tetrode

Thanks, Nick! It doesn't happen that often...............
Old 4th Dec 2017, 10:45 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenigel View Post
Someone asked me to try and get them a wall bracket for their 300 series telephone - similar to the Bakelite ones made for the 200 series. I told them that I didn't think such a thing was ever made because all the popular 300 series table models had a wall version equivalent already - is this correct or was there a wall bracket made specifically for the 300s?
Interesting that there is some asking same on eBay wanting one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253287098...&sojTags=bu=bu . I replied last week that there wasn't such a thing and referred them to the photos on BritishTelephones.com of the Tele 311 http://www.britishtelephones.com/t311.htm one I'm familiar with as it's in my collection.
There is a supposed 'Telephone 311' on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gpo-311-b.../182943913762? at the moment but it isn't!! Not a GPO phone as the only one of that square style the GPO used a real Tele 311 - a 'shared service' phone with a 'Call Exchange' button and a 3000 type relay inside. Bet that one hasn't got a relay inside?
Old 5th Dec 2017, 9:02 am   #5
giraffenigel
Tetrode

I think the person on Ebay is after a hanging bracket like the ones for a 711 & 741 ( I think the 311 just screws to the wall through the feet holes) whereas my query was for a bakelite shelf similar to this one but that fitted a 300 series
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-GPO-...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 5th Dec 2017, 10:01 am   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

The wall shelf for a 200 series instrument was actually a snazzy-looking Bakelite job; there's a photograph of one in 'Atkinson', Vol:1.

When I worked at British Steel's DEC works at Workington in the 1970s, the works PAX had many 300 series instruments as extensions, but no wall-versions that I recall. But most of the telephones were wall-mounted, on lovely varnished wooden shelves produced in the pattern shop.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Dec 2017, 10:39 am   #7
giraffenigel
Tetrode

Yes Russell, it was very snazzy and one just sold on eBay for 74 quid with postage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (91).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	153407   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (92).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	153408  
Old 5th Dec 2017, 11:04 am   #8
Station X

I remember my grandfather having just such a shelf mounted phone in the mid 1960's, the only one I ever saw. This was in the days when it was usual to have the telephone in the hall. When it went faulty the maintenance man replaced it with a 706, which he left on the floor, rather than a wall type, so grandfather had to make a wooden shelf to sit it on.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread