UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2017, 4:50 pm   #21
Bookman
Hexode

Default Re: Unrecognisable Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
If just a new stylus is going to set you back £30, then unless you know for sure that the cartridge is really good you might as well buy yourself an Audio Technica AT-91, or even one of the magnetic version of the generic "red stylus" cartridges (as fitted to some of the less-dreadful USB turntables).
Its not a question of affordability but one of if you've got to spend £30.00 then this would need to be the best option from a compatibility point of view. In this my reference to compatibility considers the £30 plus whatever the cartridge is worth and its corresponding equivalent alternate manufacture.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 6:02 pm   #22
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Please may I add that you can get the superior AT95E for well under thirty quid if you shop around. It's a little more capable at higher frequencies than the conical-tip AT91 or slightly posher Rega carbon version and tracks fine at 2g or a smidge under if the deck will allow it. The cartridges referred to (Tenorel 2001 or Goldring G800) will sound messy and rather dull I suspect in comparison and the supposedly better G800E and 820E definitely so (sad idiot that I am, I have examples of them all)

Dave
Old 1st Nov 2017, 6:43 pm   #23
Bookman
Hexode

Thanks Dave.
I'll bear that one in mind. Oddly enough that's my second lesson of the day. In that I had decided to list my Sony KC555 cassette player but made sure it worked before proceeding.
I had forgotten how this particular player actually provides a significant difference in sound when selecting the correct tape format and indeed switching in the Dolby NR. Most players as you are aware provide only a marginal difference.
In this regard however one has to pay a premium to get the quality?
Joe
Old 1st Nov 2017, 6:56 pm   #24
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_simons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoon View Post
Hey sorry to disagree, but that is not a Goldring G800.
See images.

David.
Agree, as a one time owner I can definitely say it's a g800.
greg.
I'm confused. This post contradicts itself. Is it a G800 or not?
Misread by me unfortunately, but, it's still a g800!.
greg.
Closed Thread