UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2017, 5:36 pm   #1
vanhoest
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony STR 434 is way too loud!

Hi there,

I am trying to set up an old SONY STR 434L with two Samsung PS7500 speaker (8ohm/15 watt).

It sounds good but it's way too loud, I can only use the first stop of the volume control, and there are like 40!

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

I am new to this forum and to vintage audio... sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

Cheers from Brussels, Belgium.

R. Vanhoest
Old 29th Oct 2017, 9:33 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony STR 434 is way too loud!

Well these Samsungs are just low quality, low power handling speakers. The wrong kind to use with your 40 watt amplifier. You need a good pair of speakers that is more compatible with your Sony.
Old 29th Oct 2017, 10:36 pm   #3
peter_sol
Octode

What are you plugging into it and into which sockets?
Old 30th Oct 2017, 1:54 am   #4
Grubhead
Heptode

If you did turn it up loud you would blow those speakers apart. Possibly damaging the output devices of the amp too. Always a possibility if someone else uses the amp and don't know not to turn it up.
You need to attach speakers of at least 40 watts, very quickly.
Old 30th Oct 2017, 1:10 pm   #5
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
What are you plugging into it and into which sockets?
Peter has the right question.
Don't confuse "too much volume" with power handling capability of loudspeakers which is a contentious subject anyway. There is more to mere Sound pressure levels than power handling. Like the sensitivity of the speakers, and I doubt very much that's the issue here.
So to the OP, can we have a photo of what you are plugging in to the amp, and into which input sockets. A picture , as the adage goes, paints a thousand words.
I am wondering if the OP has perhaps plugged say a high output Headphone output of a portable device into the "Phono" i.e. the mag cartridge input of the amp? That would have a sensitivity around the 3mV or less mark and bunging half a volt or more into it would give a 100x overload and a very loud distorted output.
A.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 30th Oct 2017 at 1:25 pm. Reason: Tpynig error
Old 30th Oct 2017, 9:13 pm   #6
vanhoest
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, thanks, that was quick!

Here are some updates, Ill try to add a picture later on.

SPEAKERS: I do know my speakers are crappy, so I tried it with a pair of Technics SB 3130, (80 Watts) and it's still way too loud.

INPUT: I am not even pluging anything right now, I use the built-in tuner. A few weeks ago, I did try plugging an ipod on the TAPE IN sockets, and still, super loud. I could play a bit by lowering the volume of the ipod almost to the min, this way I was able to go up a bit on the main volume, but still nowhere near a quarter of the maximum.

Cheers,

R.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 11:58 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

IMHO this is not a speaker problem. I once ran a Sharp SG500 Music centre (maximum output 80 Watts per Channel into 4 ohms), using a pair of Realistic (Tandy) 10 Watt Dual Cone speakers without any problems, volume wise, since, at normal listening levels in a quiet room, the peak output from any amplfier is unlikely to be more than about 1 watt per channel, and the average power somewhat less. It seems to me that there is a fault within the STR434. The fact that you have the same problems with two different pairs of speakers seems to bear that out.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 1:06 pm   #8
vidjoman
Dekatron

Could be a faulty volume control lacking an earthy connection.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 8:01 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Or, if at some time, the volume control (perhaps a tapped one) has been replaced by a non tapped one ?
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 8:20 pm   #10
camtechman
Nonode

Vanhoest

If you need it, a free service manual & supplement is available from "hifiengine". You only have to register and then you can access them f.o.c. as PDF files.

link here: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...str-434l.shtml

Regards, Antoine Hodeige

Last edited by camtechman; 2nd Nov 2017 at 8:25 pm.
Closed Thread