UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2017, 11:57 am   #1
Nich1957
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rigonda Symphony

Hi There and Good Morning. Thanks for accepting me into your group. I wonder if anybody could advise me.

I have just picked up a really nice Rigonda Symphony which is in superb condition and everything on the radio side works perfectly. The record player however does not. I am barely getting a sound out of it, it is running slow and the needle does tend to scrape across the records very easily. Are these easily repaired or am I better getting a different deck and if so what would anybody recommend.

Many thanks, Nich.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 12:04 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Rigonda Symphony

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I suggest you start by reading this thread:-

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=75401

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 1:11 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Rigona "Symphony" will be one of the last valve Radiograms to be made and has quite a following. It is let down it's rather crude single play deck and a very clumsy tone arm. This may need either a new stylus or even a cartridge and should be set to track at 4-5 grams. It is unlikely to track well lower than this. An ideal and far superior single play deck for this would be is a Garrard SP25 (frequently available) which should just about fit the space available, but best to check first.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 1:58 pm   #4
Station X

Fitting a new deck may well cure the speed and skating problems, but it's unlikely to cure the low output problem.

The OP is clearly a beginner, so I would suggest that his best bet is to fix the problem with the existing deck before thinking about fitting a new one.

The fact that the radio works suggests that there's a problem with the cartridge or stylus and the thread I linked to describes how to check for this.

Every time I see a record player thread started by a new member I have a strange feeling of déjà vu.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 2:56 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Nich1957

When you got the Rigonda, did you happen to get the free LP that was provided with it when new?

The only reason for asking was the artists on the LP were the Russian version of the Beatles but in roosky and is quite collectable and worth a few £££ or Rubles.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 7:51 pm   #6
Richard_FM
Nonode

Years later Paul McCartney would release CHOBA B CCCP (aka the Russian Album).
Old 1st Nov 2017, 10:04 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

My dear late friend used to work at the UK's service/repair/importer head office in the late 60's to the late 70's at Tottenham (T.O.E.-Technical & Optical Equipment) and he had one of the last imported Rigonda Symphony radiograms.

Along with Russian Cameras, Binoculars, Radios & the Symphony RG's, after they were received, all had to be inspected and tested for faults and his department spent 50% of its time rectifying these problems before they could be released for sale in the UK and the Record Player of the Symphony quite often had to be Repaired/Adjusted/Replaced.

As a senior staff member, he had use of a company Moskvitch 412 car, an Orangey/Brown/Vomit colour !!

P.S. They had another department in that building that dealt with other matters ('I Spy With My Little Eye') if you get my drift.

Last edited by camtechman; 1st Nov 2017 at 10:28 pm.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 12:49 am   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Nich1957

When you got the Rigonda, did you happen to get the free LP that was provided with it when new?
When my Dad bought a Rigonda Symphony, the dealer threw in the single of Lee Marvin's Wand'rin' Star.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 1:00 am   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich1957 View Post
I have just picked up a really nice Rigonda Symphony which is in superb condition and everything on the radio side works perfectly. The record player however does not. I am barely getting a sound out of it, it is running slow and the needle does tend to scrape across the records very easily. Are these easily repaired or am I better getting a different deck and if so what would anybody recommend.
It's not too much of an exaggeration to say that's what they were like when new.

For the speed issue, first thing to do is oil the top and bottom motor bearings.

As for changing the deck, then it wouldn't be a Rigonda
Don't you love the way a 12" record hangs out of the slot in the back?
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 12:13 pm   #10
Nich1957
Retired Dormant Member

Hi There
Thanks for your reply, no I didn't get the record. I did get the instruction book with schematics and certificate dated 1968

Thank you for all your comments, all extremely helpful. Although I am not a novice I am having to reconnect with how these things work. I had one back in the 70's and just remember the quality sound.

Regards Nich
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 3:09 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
As for changing the deck, then it wouldn't be a Rigonda
Don't you love the way a 12" record hangs out of the slot in the back?
Noting this comment, it's possible that a Garrard 4SP deck might fit far better as a replacement than a Garrard SP25.