UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2017, 4:46 pm   #1
the dazza
Retired Dormant Member

Default National Panasonic 3090L.

Hi. I have a National Panasonic 3090L, all in working order but I have poor sound quality from the record deck.
It seems very bassy with no top end. I have tried adjusting the cartridge angle but with little effect, I have also replaced the stylus.
Any advice would be great.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 5:47 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: national panasonic 3090l

You mention tracking angle but not quite sure what you mean as this is liable to be fixed? Do you mean the tracking weight? If so, lighten it to about 3 grams. Do you have a gauge for the weight?
Old 25th Oct 2017, 12:19 pm   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: National Panasonic 3090L.

The cartridge tracking angle can indeed be adjusted if the cartridge has been moved in the headshell, the tracking weight should be set to 2 grams (not 3 grams) as in the manual that you can find here:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../sg-3090.shtml

Do you know how to set the tracking weight on this arm?
Gary

Last edited by sp10mk11; 25th Oct 2017 at 12:24 pm.
Old 25th Oct 2017, 6:51 pm   #4
John123
Heptode

If possible, disconnect the cartridge and touch the supply wires. You should get a nice healthy buzz through the speakers..hopefully with plenty of loud, top end buzz (careful with the volume!) If you do, then it's either an alignment issue, or the cartridge itself is faulty (try another).

If it still sounding muffled, start by cleaning all the controls with a good quality switch cleaner (eg. Servisol), then trace back the phono preamp section.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 9:16 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These comments were made on the basis is that I would not have expected the headshell alignment to have been previously tampered with, especially on this type of Music Centre. I also did not expect the arm on this - again a Music Centre compatible deck - would track comfortably as "light" at 2 grams. If the OP has now adjusted the cartridge angle in the headshell, then I must assume he understands the prinicples of Tracking Geometry. Given this, it's possible that the fault may lay elsewhere.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 12:19 pm   #6
Bookman
Hexode

I have a 6070 which is also nigh on in perfect order. One thing I have noticed with these units is the significant difference in sound obtained when using differing cartridges.
For example the use of a relatively inexpensive Shure 75ED compared to an equally priced AT or Technics. I had quite a mix of different cartridges for comparison purposes and as such a trial and error approach did not require digging deep in my pocket.
In such matters; in particularly sound issues I would rely significantly upon forum members for their guidance - it could save a lot of money.
I appreciate how annoying such issues can be.
Regards
Joe
Old 29th Oct 2017, 10:25 am   #7
sp10mk11
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
These comments were made on the basis is that I would not have expected the headshell alignment to have been previously tampered with, especially on this type of Music Centre. I also did not expect the arm on this - again a Music Centre compatible deck - would track comfortably as "light" at 2 grams. If the OP has now adjusted the cartridge angle in the headshell, then I must assume he understands the prinicples of Tracking Geometry. Given this, it's possible that the fault may lay elsewhere.
If you are not sure or do not know then it is always best to say nothing rather than giving incorrect advice
Closed Thread