UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2017, 8:27 pm   #161
Station X

Default Re: Defiant MP4 with AT6 Turntable refurbish

This could well be the same model or use a similar circuit and transformer:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=112836

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 12:14 pm   #162
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Defiant record player covered in this Link preceeded the OP's player under review here - BUT - it might just have very similar amplifier circuitry and that the only differences are the edge-mounted controls for Volume, Tone and On/Off - and that infamous Pilot lamp?
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 4:09 pm   #163
AC/HL
Dekatron

The Radiomuseum entry for the MP4 says "Portable record reproducer similar to models MP3 & R209, but with a Garrard AT6 record changer" so in the absence of proof from a member who owns both, the assumption that the MP4 uses the R209 circuit is reasonable, and quite typical of manufacturing practice. The upmarket changer presumably merited the addition of a pilot lamp to further distinguish it from the "old" model.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 6:11 pm   #164
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

At last a possible "fit", let's study that circuit (Post #161) and see where that leads us......or, er, have we been there before?!
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 9:11 pm   #165
Station X

Yes we have been there before Edward, see posts #14 and #73.

It would be nice to find another similar player so that we can conform whether the mains transformer is original or not.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Mar 2017, 1:14 pm   #166
ggg1234
Tetrode

Hi Graham

Appreciate you still searching. I have been trying to find a similar player on the auction sites but although they have been around there are non available at the moment.

I'll keep looking . . .

Regards
Graham
Old 5th Mar 2017, 1:24 pm   #167
ggg1234
Tetrode

Did find a Defiant advertised last year that had the edge controls and light but had an earlier garrard deck.

The words from the seller included this at the end: 'Forgot, on/off light temperamental. Makes no difference to use'.

So maybe it was a common fault on this model but interesting his one kept working with/without the lamp working.

regards
Graham
Old 5th Mar 2017, 1:45 pm   #168
ggg1234
Tetrode

Hi Graham

Here's a little bit of good news. I came across my player same colour / model and it has some pics. not quite as clear as we would like but shows half of a horrible black transformer. I thought I would attach a copy, you have to zoom in on top left corner.

Regards
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base_Garrard_AT6_-_Defiant_MP4b.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	138621  
Old 5th Mar 2017, 1:56 pm   #169
PaulR
Dekatron

It seems pretty conclusive that transformer is original. I would ask about the cost of rewinding it and make a final decision based on that.
Old 5th Mar 2017, 2:16 pm   #170
ggg1234
Tetrode

Hi PaulR

Ed thinks between £50 -70. More than its worth I know but I've got to the stage where we've all invested so much time, I just can't let it go. . . I know I'm mad eh but.....

I do feel a bit of a fraud though as I wanted to fix it myself and it seems a cheat for someone else to finish it but re-wing a transformer is a step too far for me !!!

A radio next I think . . . ( I hear people weeping )

Regards
Graham
Old 5th Mar 2017, 2:37 pm   #171
PaulR
Dekatron

Hmm that is rather a lot of money but the prices asked on ebay seem higher every week!

Is the rest of it in good condition? The rubber mat off the turntable didn't seem apparent on some of your photographs and neither did the turntable spindle. Do you have these?

The player is a decent middle of the road one. It isn't top quality, but there were poorer ones as well. It is much better than many record players you could buy today. You will need to buy a new cartridge in order to play stereo records.

In the end it is your decision. When I am trying to justify things like this I compare them to the cost of filling the car with petrol which is a very transient purchase. About one tankful in this case?
Old 5th Mar 2017, 2:43 pm   #172
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

With this latest photo and my previous posts on this topic after working on other Defiants, that transformer is original. There's no point in rewinding it then.
Old 5th Mar 2017, 2:49 pm   #173
ggg1234
Tetrode

Only a tankful indeed. I know people will think me odd but I like it and don't plan on selling it.

The rubber mat was in poor shape and I binned it I'm afraid so I'll have to find a garrard replacement. On a positive note, I do however have both short and tall spindles thank goodness.

Regards
Graham
Old 5th Mar 2017, 2:54 pm   #174
PaulR
Dekatron

I doubt that you will get a Garrard mat but there are loads of others on ebay that you could probably modify. The original may have had "pegs" on the bottom that fitted into holes in the turntable. You obviously wouldn't have those but you could use double sided tape if necessary to stop it from slipping.
Old 5th Mar 2017, 3:25 pm   #175
ggg1234
Tetrode

Hi Edward

Not sure I understand your comment about 'no point in re-winding it then' do you mean it can't be done or I can by a newer replacement?

PaulR
Yes I think ebay may the route. Edward has already suggested that as a solution.
Regards
Graham
Old 5th Mar 2017, 5:16 pm   #176
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can be re-wound of course, but I think were have all concluded that it is the genuine original component. You will have quite a job to find another, but and if ever needed, and as suggested by me already, the early Dansettes (c.1954/56) used a similar type.

I don't know how bad you turntable mat was, but even if perished and discoloured, these can still be made good if they are complete. Otherwise (as previously suggested) cut down a 12" black felt Slipmat - quite cheap.