UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2016, 4:10 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Just out of interest

There is something that puzzles me about how the forum software works.

My usual way of using the forum is as follows.

I will click on "New Posts" and read those that interest me and perhaps respond to one or two.

When I am finished I will click on "New Posts" again in case any more have been posted during the session.

I will then click on "Mark Forums Read", wait for the home page to reappear and then close.

When I start the next session I again click on "New Posts". Any new posts are listed as expected and then listed below them (sometimes not always) I will get a list entitled :

"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts".

My question is, why does this list appear in spite of the fact that I had clicked "Mark Forums Read" at the end of the previous session?

As the title suggests it is not a problem, just idle curiosity on my part.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 4:27 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Just out of interest

I assume you just get one or two thread listed in this way, in which it's probably that they have been posted while the forum thinks you are still connected. As far as I'm aware, the forum depends upon a period of inactivity to deem that you're no longer connected, not having any "knowledge" of whether you're still displaying its pages without clicking anything.

I use the forum in exactly the same way, though not necessarily closing down after the main menu is displayed, and occasionally get the same thing as you describe - which puzzled me at first.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 4:31 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

One that sometimes catches me is if there are a lot of replies on a thread, it can trip over to another page. The only indication is a small box on the lower right, easily missed.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 7:47 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Me too, Bill! It usually ends with me hurriedly deleting my reply, as it invariably duplicates what someone has already said on the "hidden" page.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 8:29 pm   #5
Station X

You can change your options to show up to 50 posts per page.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Oct 2016, 9:00 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks, Graham, that sounds useful.
Closed Thread