UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2016, 10:24 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Unable to comment on 'Marie Antoinette's watch', Why?

How come the thread relating to the above very interesting programme has been closed after only one comment? Are we really restricted to purely electronics topics on this forum, and not allowed to even mention any other subjects? Maybe we should have a 'Member's Lounge' in which other subjects can be freely discussed.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 10:33 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Unable to comment on 'Marie Antoinette's watch', Why?

Because of the risk of commercial patronism, this forum should really have a topic header
where reviews of books, audio and video recordings, and broadcasts could be commented
on or reviewed. It should be made clear the reviews and opinions expressed may not represent those involved with running and maintaining the forum.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:00 am   #3
paulsherwin

We have to draw the line somewhere. This thread was discussed by the mods and the consensus was to close it without comment. Members might like to discuss all sorts of weird and wonderful topics, but this is a vintage radio and TV forum. There are many other places on the net to discuss other things.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:04 am   #4
yesnaby
Octode

Disagree.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:29 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Paul's reply is pretty much how I thought that the Mods must view things and I can see it both ways. In the end though the [volunteers] that run things have to procede as they see fit at the time The overlap between multiple interests is hard to manage I imagine. The Forum is different to many others but that has it's upside as well [and I don't always agree with everything].

I hope that I won't feel discouraged about flagging up other items. Apart from a long term technical interest my main emphasis is on "media watching" and archiving. I get the impression that a lot of members don't do that much contemporary viewing [even those working on TV's] so I try to point out things of interest that could be missed. This especially relates to BBC4 which has churned out loads of programs with a vintage Radio/TV aspect since 2002.
I keep saying that I hope to list them some day-I say a lot though

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Oct 2016 at 11:50 am.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:57 am   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
Disagree.
For those who prefer a less restrictive forum, the excellent Golborne Vintage Radio forum is available: http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/. Golborne explicitly allow the discussion of mechanical clocks (and also motor vehicles).
Old 7th Oct 2016, 12:16 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Are we restricted to purely electronics topics on this forum.
Post #3, sentences 3 and 4, answers your questions: that answer is no. For myself, I'm indifferent to that answer.

Al.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 12:26 pm   #8
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Maybe we should have a 'Member's Lounge' in which other subjects can be freely discussed.
I would say that this would be a sensible direction. Other forums im on that are restrictive in the range of topics (for instance the Metal Detecting Forum) have such a sub-section, where anything can be discussed so long as basic rules of etiquette are kept.

On the whole, I prefer the mods level of control, as it does annoy me when an interesting thread gets derailed by non-relevant discussion.

Such a 'lounge' sub-section could be controlled by the 'minimum number of posts' rule

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 7th Oct 2016, 1:39 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

I find that all forums have a "sweat spot" where everything is on topic however if there is a lot of posts to be checked out by a limited number of moderators some restrictions may have to be set up. This has recently caused a bit if friction resulting in the closure of an entire forum.
Here the high number of members makes it quick and easy to get equipment with missing model numbers identified more quickly. Also there is more likely to be a member whom has an awkward to get manual that can be scanned.

My answer it to find a forum where the topic is allowed then join and post. Yesterday I started a thread about fist fighting politicians in a forum where it is allowed and there is no problem with that. I will leave the web link for you to ask me to PM it to you unless a moderator says otherwise. Paul has posted a couple of messages here and he will be able to say yes or no easily.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 1:48 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Please don't post a link to a fist fighting politicians forum - I think most of us can agree that such a subject is OT here

We do get requests for changes in the structure of the forum at times, and the suggestion of a lounge area with little or no moderation has come up before. The mods are asked for their opinion on such changes, but ultimately such decisions are taken by Paul Stenning, not us. I don't want to speak for him but I don't think he's very keen on the idea.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 2:14 pm   #11

Quote:
but I don't think he's very keen on the idea.
Neither am I, plenty of other places for that sort of stuff. Keep up the good work mods..

Old 7th Oct 2016, 3:06 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
We do get requests for changes in the structure of the forum at times, and the suggestion of a lounge area with little or no moderation has come up before.
In the past we had sections that were more relaxed but they inevitably became more problematic and took up a disproportionate amount of moderator time (some may remember the eBay section...), even though the intention was they they would need less moderation! This is why we now try to keep things reasonably focussed onto the main themes of the forum.

The mods are all here voluntarily and the last thing we want is to cause them any more work than they already have.

It is always difficult to decide where to draw the line so it invariably appears arbitrary. We allow electric clocks occasionally, which then widens to mechanical clocks (which really are off-topic) and then widens further to watches. We are now a long way from vintage radio and television, we spot it and decide it's drifted too far.

As Paul Sherwin mentioned the Golborne forum allows a wider range of topics, as did the late VRAT forum. We welcome different forums that have different approaches.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Oct 2016, 3:38 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Let's us not end up like certain political party, ditto keep up the good work.

Thank you.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 6:09 pm   #14
David G4EBT
Dekatron

"UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum" is clear & unambiguous.

Over the years, I've been a member of various forums on a range of interests, which have permitted and even encouraged off-topic posting, in the belief that it stimulates activity but invariably this has diluted, and in some cases, almost eclipsed the central purpose of the forum to a point at which it becomes little more than a wide-ranging chat room. All it takes is four or five active posters to skew the forum in that way.

Thankfully, there's no risk of that happening here, and I'm very content with that.
Old 7th Oct 2016, 6:43 pm   #15
Mooly
Octode

I didn't watch the program (wanted to but didn't). There is a thread here for those interested:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/uk-b...t-3646234.html
Old 7th Oct 2016, 6:51 pm   #16

Quote:
"UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum" is clear & unambiguous.
Stretched a bit with hi-fi, amateur radio and record players, but at least they are vintage electronics. The Modern Tech. section seems to be how to keep our computers running to use the forum (in the main). And odd things about making workshops (this is not a woodworking forum), are all of use in our main objective. The odd slight deviation is in my opinion fine, let us not get too far away though. Again, think you mods. for this little bit of sanity on the web.

Old 7th Oct 2016, 6:57 pm   #17
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

At the risk of dragging this thread out even further, I'd like to make just one point.

It relates to what happens when a post is deleted (it has happened to me on a couple of occasions) or a thread is closed or deleted entirely. One such was a new thread asking for speakers on the general topic of this forum. I crafted a reply relating to my cipher machine restoration work at the National Museum of Computing and saying I'd be delighted to speak. Bam - the thread was deleted, along with my not even posted reply.

Would it not be possible to either post an explanation, or alternatively send a PM? As it is, there is absolutely no feedback regarding which of the many rules and sub-sections has been infringed. Or even a PM just to say your post on x thread has been deleted?

Just for context, I have been a volunteer admin for the XJ Jaguars list, at that stage with over 2000 list members, so I do understand the level of effort that goes into the thankless job.

Craig
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:32 pm   #18
Skywave
Rest in Peace

My viewpoint, FWIW, is as follows.

If a post clearly infringes the forum rules, it is likely to be deleted: the forum rules are clearly written; they exist for good reasons. If you are about to make a post which you think is likely to be problematical, then remind yourself of the rules first. (Sometimes I ask myself "How often to members remind themselves of the rules?") On a few occasions, prior to making a post, I have done that and, yes, there have been times (fortunately very few) when although said post has not infringed any rules, that post was deleted. Upon enquiry, the reason was given that it was a moderator's decision - and the reason was supplied. Annoying at the time, yes, but upon reflection, I appreciate that the forum rules cannot cover every possibility: there will always be grey areas. In the final analysis, that's one good reason (amongst others) why a forum must have moderators: without, chaos would ensue to the detriment of everyone.

Simply my personal viewpoint: I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

Al.
Old 8th Oct 2016, 12:44 am   #19
paulsherwin

Al has summed up the position very well. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Closed Thread