UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2016, 9:25 am   #1
grahamperrin
Triode

Question Does vBulletin here allow a person to be notified when his or her name is mentioned?

With (for example) XenForo, I can address a person by prefixing his or her name with @ and doing so will generate a notification to that person. So for example @Maarten would draw Maarten's attention to that 'mention'.

Is there a comparable feature here?

(At vBulletin feature pages I sought but could not find anything like it.)
Old 4th Aug 2016, 2:36 pm   #2

Default Re: Does vBulletin here allow a person to be notified when his or her name is mention

I would hate that 'feature', if someone want's to draw my attention to something, drop me a PM. I like the forum as it is, simple and fast, and those "@"s I have seen rather spoil the text.

Old 4th Aug 2016, 2:42 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Does vBulletin here allow a person to be notified when his or her name is mention

Thankfully, I don't believe such a feature is supported. If it were, I hope it would it would be optional whether to receive such notifications.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 2:46 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Thankfully, I assume that such a feature is not possible here.

If it is, I'm off. This is not a social media site and I fervently hope it never becomes one.

Plenty of play time on Farcecrap and others for the children to amuse themselves with.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 3:29 pm   #5

Quote:
If it is, I'm off. This is not a social media site and I fervently hope it never becomes one.
Seconded!

Old 4th Aug 2016, 3:37 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

No way! We like to talk and interact with each other on this Forum, maybe meet face to face. Life is too short to be constantly fiddling with my smart phone or computer.
It is great as it is. John.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 7:16 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No, the version we use here doesn't have that facility. It's more of a social media feature than a forum one really.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Aug 2016, 7:39 pm   #8
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I'm with Merlin.

— Joe
Old 4th Aug 2016, 8:47 pm   #9
paulsherwin

It's a Twitter thing. The forum software is relatively old and predates the mass use of Twitter, so Twitter conventions won't be supported.

As others have said, it's necessary to send an explicit PM to attract somebody's attention.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 9:59 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
No, the version we use here doesn't have that facility. It's more of a social media feature than a forum one really.
And long may this site continue to be that way.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 10:09 pm   #11
grahamperrin
Triode

I never used the feature in a social networking way. I understand that people are wary. Thanks.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 11:19 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It's a Twitter thing. The forum software is relatively old and predates the mass use of Twitter, so Twitter conventions won't be supported.
Yes, we are using an older version of vBulletin (3.8.9), though it is still supported for security and PHP compatibility updates (but no new features). I uploaded the latest security patch a couple of days ago.

Newer versions (4.x and 5.x) are available but I don't like them as much as this version, and the upgrade cost is considerable. I don't know what extra features these have that 3.x doesn't.

The latest 3.x will continue do us fine while it's supported. When it becomes unsupported I will consider the options (possibly a migration to something like phpBB).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Aug 2016, 2:15 am   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

We tried a plugin for @mentions on another vBulletin form that I moderate. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

If you use Greasemonkey (a sort of meta-extension for Firefox), you can write programs ("userscripts") to analyse and modify web pages. This allows you to do things like e.g. suppress the display of posts by certain users; even if the forum software does not support it, because it's all being done on the client end. Almost all forum software generates very predictable output, so it's usually very easy to remix it in transit.
Old 5th Aug 2016, 7:02 pm   #14
grahamperrin
Triode

Thumbs up Re: Does vBulletin here allow a person to be notified when his or her name is mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
We tried a plugin for @mentions on another vBulletin form that I moderate. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. …
OK, thanks, that's good enough for me to suggest closure of this topic. And as a closing note – to anyone who understand CSS etc. (I have little understanding) – the predominance of none-, hide- and remove-related lines at http://pastebin.com/5yKmk1WD may reassure you that asking about @ was nothing like Twitter! I like my reading environments to be suitably quiet, free from fluff and distractions.
Old 6th Aug 2016, 4:18 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Definitely. A bit of fluff can be very distracting.......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Aug 2016, 4:21 pm   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Seconded!
Thirded!
Old 6th Aug 2016, 4:34 pm   #17
Thyristor
Pentode

Definitely.
Despite popular belief; not everyone in the universe either uses, or is remotely interested in, 'so-called' social media.
Closed Thread