UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2019, 7:04 am   #1
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Question VCR video head swap

Hi,
Is it possible to take one VHS VCR upper head drum (cylinder where the heads are attached), regardless of specific make or model of VCR (as long as it's VHS) and place it in another machine? First of all is THAT physically possible? And I don't care it it's 2 head or 4 head or mono or stereo, hi-fi, s-vhs etc... Is it possible to transplant one upper drum from one machine into another (completely different models and makes of VCR)? If that's possible, can you tell me if there's gonna be a noticeable quality video difference? For instance, lets say that I have two quality VCR's, one from 1982 and the other from 1989 or late 90's (heads are still good / not worn on both units). But the later machine has a higher quality head drum. I do the upper drum head swap (if possible). Will there be any difference or is something else which is responsible for the video quality? Thanks for your input.
Old 14th Oct 2019, 9:41 am   #2
pichacker
Hexode

Default Re: VCR video head swap

In a word mate, nope.... You are heading for disaster. There are many aspects that would differ no least the heads, mounting, motors, guide poles.... The list goes on.

The tape path is critical to good performance and even swapping a like for like will result in the need for careful realignment if you wish to ensure compatibility and stable performance.
Old 14th Oct 2019, 10:50 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Short answer: No.
And your chances of performing this with VCRs with such a big difference in age are zero. Just take a look at the guts of the machines in question and you will soon see why.
Old 14th Oct 2019, 11:12 pm   #4
davyrocket2
Pentode

what make and model is the machine with worn heads a friend who is a retired engineer may have heads or a complete vcr or complete head drum assembly
Old 15th Oct 2019, 11:23 am   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

If for example you have a JVC-made, Ferguson-branded machine, you can swap the heads with another JVC-branded machine, providing that both machines use the same upper drum. But you can't take, let's say, a head drum from a Panasonic NV-8600 and put it into a JVC HR-3330 and vice versa.

Regards,

Fivos
Old 16th Oct 2019, 12:54 am   #6
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Thanks guys. The thought had come to me originally when I picked up a lesser known top loading Mitsubishi HS-310 VCR, that I knew was originally reviewed by all the magazines at the time (in the early 80's) as having below average video quality (as compared to other models). I picked it up because I never saw an early 80's top loading VCR with 5 (yes, FIVE) DC motors for every function. No belts or idlers. Incredible built quality inside, mostly metal. I started scratching my head why would a VCR of this quality have such low quality video playback? The heads are not worn. This Mitsubishi is known to have poor video quality out of the factory. Why?
Old 16th Oct 2019, 2:44 am   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

Hi Cjacek,

I would be interested in finding out the answer to that question. That a VCR so otherwise well and expensively equipped, had a poorer than normal picture seems very strange. Normally with a high end model, having such a basic flaw in picture quality would mean the company either recalling the machine and modifying it, refunding the purchase price, or offering a substitute model. What was claimed to be the specific cause of the original poor picture?

Have you tested the VCR's picture quality against a known good VCR? What exactly is poor about the picture? Noise? Stability? Color? etc. How bad is the fault?

But assuming there is a problem with the picture of the VCR you have, how can you be sure this is because of the alleged original factory fault, or due to its age now and perhaps needing a good service?

Tim.
Old 16th Oct 2019, 5:48 am   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

I actually found a Mitsubishi HS-310Q (Multi system version) for sale near me but I don't want any more VHS machines as I have lots of them already, including many top loaders. The only Mitsubishi VCR I had was an HS-337 from 1986 and the quality was OK but only a linear mono 2-head model.

Fivos
Old 16th Oct 2019, 7:07 am   #9
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Thanks guys.

Tim, to answer your question (and by the way my thoughts exactly as per yours about such a quality machine having sub par video), I read over the years peoples' experiences with the higher end Mitsubishi machines, the HS-U70 or HS-U80 and, while these sported great built quality, the video was only average. Then when I spotted the HS-310 (an obviously earlier older machine) I was curious. I then read a couple of scanned reviews from the early 80's. These can be found here, first on the 302 model and then on the one I have the 310:

https://vintagevideomachines.blogspo...bishi%20HS-302

https://vintagevideomachines.blogspo...bishi%20HS-310

These seem to bear out what people (and now I) have found to be true, that for some unknown reason these seemingly quality Mitsubishi units are average to poor when it comes to video performance. My machine's video quality is exactly as the reviews say. And I did also compare to other machines. I have several high end VCR units of this era and one modern cheap unit (just for fun) which is below the other ones as far as performance but which blows away the 310. So all of these things together I feel paint a picture that something's not right with Mitsubishi. I too would like to know why this company would blow it in the video quality performance. Especially when you look at the machines' quality heavy duty built and high prices at the time.

Last edited by cjacek2000; 16th Oct 2019 at 7:14 am.
Old 16th Oct 2019, 11:47 am   #10
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

My 1979 National (Panasonic) NV-8600 still gives a great picture and the dropout compensator is good. Perphaps the dropout compensators in the Mitsubishi's aren't as good as the ones used in Panasonic machines? Or is the overall playback quality not sharp with much chroma noise?
Old 16th Oct 2019, 10:45 pm   #11
cjacek2000
Tetrode

The playback quality basically looks dull, low contrast, low brightness, dull colors, like somebody put a blanket over the stereo speakers (to make an audio analogy).
Old 16th Oct 2019, 11:16 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacek2000 View Post
The playback quality basically looks dull, low contrast, low brightness, dull colors, .
That reminds me of a Panasonic fault that gave the impression of worn heads, so bad was the pic.... PSU output unstable due to bad capacitors. Also, leaky SMD caps in signal processing circuitry in some later units gave similar symptoms to what you describe.

Someone may also have messed with the FM section in yours.

In any case, in view of the age now involved, it's probably worth inspecting the signal path with a scope and service documentation.
Old 17th Oct 2019, 1:00 pm   #13
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Ben

Can you tell me which models suffered from this issue? I have a 1982 NV-390 which I believe it's Panasonic's first front loader. The small issue with this machine is that colors look over-saturated in playback, but recordings made on this machine play just fine on other machines. Also the dropout compensator isn't very good or needs an adjustment.

Fivos
Old 18th Oct 2019, 3:37 pm   #14
Studio263
Octode

The below par picture quality of early Mitsubishi VHS machines was mentioned a lot in 'Television' magazine in the mid 80s. In a guide they did on buying second hand VTRs it was specifically mentioned as a point 'against'. Things improved with the HS-304B (etc), which still retained the 5 motor direct drive setup too.

However, we sold loads of Mitsubishi VTRs in the the shop, the earliest being a large machine where the remote control fitted into the front of the fascia and was locked in place with a lever below - this also inserted a DC power plug into the side. They had a huge pressed-out disc on the capstan motor shaft too, with teeth around the outside. Obviously an FG pulse generator, but why was it so big?

No-one ever complained to us about picture quality with these, but it was noted how reliable they were. Its hard to assess the original quality of a machine which is now the thick end of 40 years old without setting it up exactly as the service manual states and ensuring that everything is in spec, something which is well worth doing if you have the gear and the skills.

I remember when we first discovered that the HS-303 / HS-304 models had a loading belt in them, it was well into the 90s before they started giving any trouble. That's the sort of reliability that you can't buy any more, at any price.
Old 18th Oct 2019, 11:17 pm   #15
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Interesting info, thanks again. I'm not sure what I'll do with the VCR in question (I'm not too good nor do I have access to electronic testing gear) but that Mitsubishi sure is reliable and well built (mechanically at least). Yea, mine is with that unique remote fitted into the front of the fascia. I had to straighten out the bolt on the remote 'cause it was bent from someone obviously pulling on it without unlocking it first from the main unit.
Closed Thread