UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2012, 1:07 am   #1
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Heathkit AO-1U

This is the other item distributed to me from Markie's bits with the help of Greenstar.

Getting a circuit diagram was a bit of an odd experience as the AO-1 is no problem the "U" version has an extra band and keeps coming up with the three band circuit when a search is done.
When I opened it up I was rewarded with the fruits of a reverse engineering job.
There is an error on the grid coupling capacitor on pin 7 of the oscillator valve but all the same it is a good effort.
On the cap reformer it went and the three Hunts caps began to pull the grids up.
I left it on for a while for the two 8uf electrolytic ones to fully reform. I replaced the three black Hunts ones two of them being under the electrolytic 8uf ones.
I then showed it some power and it went dead at the lower end of all the bands
It was the tuning capacitor.
A little tweak with a trimming tool sorted it out after the end float test failed to reveal a problem. It was the vane furthest from the control.
A tweak of the padder got the scale to within about 5% over almost all of the ranges.
I didn't expect the square wave to me much good at the top end of the highest range as this was added as an afterthought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6345E.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	74133   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6349.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	74134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6354.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	74135   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6360.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	74136  
Old 19th Dec 2012, 6:33 pm   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Heathkit AO-1U

Good on getting this going - I think I would have tried everything before finding the error, if I did. Virtues of tracing the circuit. is this the first thing you usually do? had any luck with the Avo?
Tony
Old 19th Dec 2012, 11:41 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

There is only one moving part when adjusting the frequency and that is the cap.
I examined it under a magnifying lamp and looked at the gaps with the cap closed in order to work out what side it was most likely to be shorting on.
Once it was at the point where the output goes dead I very gently nudged each vane until I found the one that was causing it and then flexed it a tiny bit first and progressively more each time until it was fixed.
It did not take too long as it is quite a simple instrument.
I have started a thread for the AVO in the workshop test gear section as it is fighting the repairs.

Last edited by Refugee; 19th Dec 2012 at 11:44 pm. Reason: Note about the AVO forgotten
Old 16th Jun 2015, 11:38 am   #4
andywal
Retired Dormant Member

I have the original assembly manual for it and can copy it if it's of use to you. Regards Andy.
Old 16th Jun 2015, 1:04 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

It has been working fine since I changed several tar coated capacitors. I have a home drawn reverse engineered circuit diagram that has one or two mistakes but they are nothing for me to worry about.
Closed Thread