UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2011, 3:27 pm   #1
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dac70

Getting some experience with these universal sets as of late and this one was no exception. Initial looks at the set were not encouraging, and at one stage I was considering consigning the set to the donor pile but.......

Fibre back was in good condition, no cracks, chips or warps, which made a change. Shame about the front dial, these sets used a pygmy bulb behind to illuminate the dial and there was distortion of the gauge at the 400 position due to the 25w bulb found fitted (pretty sure this should be 15w). The bakelite case was shabby and really nasty. The gold plastic trim had shrunk over the years and was looking worn. Can anybody point me towards a supplier of gold coloured plastic trim, quarter circle section? The case was washed and then polished up with T Cut. I use normal cut to get the worst off, then switch to the finer metallic cut to bring on the shine. A good wash of the knobs and this part other than the trim was complete.

Inside, decent nick for a change. The UL84 had suffered a damaged top nipple and had to be replaced. All the usual waxies replaced and a general cleanout top to bottom. No rust but a little tarnishing on the rear of the tuning gang. All other valves intact and tidy. Nice easy job.

Powering up, worked first time. These sets were fitted with ferrite rods so reception on MW and LW is pretty good. As mentioned, not fully restored as I need a supplier of gold trim but overall not a bad set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	57130   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	57131   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	57132   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	57133  
Old 10th Oct 2011, 11:40 am   #2
Andy Doz
Hexode

Default Re: Dac70

I have one of these I did years ago... let me know if you find a supplier of gold trim. Have you lowered the voltage to the pigmy lamp to stop it burning its way through the front? I put a diode in series with mine.

Last edited by Andy Doz; 10th Oct 2011 at 11:40 am. Reason: spelling.
Old 10th Oct 2011, 12:06 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've never owned one of these radios so can't speak from experience, but apparently there's no need to drop the voltage to the lamp providing the lamp is positioned correctly.

Alternatively it is possible to buy pygmy bulbs of less than 15W rating; I know a 10W is available and I believe you can get them lower than that.
Old 10th Oct 2011, 12:10 pm   #4
Andy Doz
Hexode

Indeed, there's now a 5watt LED one gettable from Ikea.
Old 10th Oct 2011, 1:09 pm   #5
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

I'm having no luck sourcing the gold plastic trim so if anybody is any the wiser, I'd be grateful.
Old 10th Oct 2011, 1:55 pm   #6
Andy Doz
Hexode

I thought about boiling it in a pan of water and giving it a semi-gentle stretch, as mine appears to have shrunk, like yours. Decided I wouldn't in the end...
Closed Thread