UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2018, 9:21 pm   #61
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: 1980's Pansonic microwave - repairable?

That's quite normal, I mentioned "crowbarring" in post #24
Old 19th May 2018, 2:18 pm   #62
ColinB
Heptode

I wonder what happens if there isn't a mains fuse...! Or is there one inside the oven?
Old 24th May 2018, 2:15 pm   #63
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
I made up a discharge lead for working on microwaves - two insulated handle screwdrivers with a lead and 1k 5 watt wirewound resistor connecting the two used for discharging the cap and NEVER worked on it live (cabinet cover interlock m/switch should stop you but cannot reply on it). Tested for all the door switches, front panel and diode - if these OK but still no heat then junked it. Problem for most parts is that time you've tracked it down to a supplier and paid the postage etc over here in NZ it's probably cheaper to buy a new one.
The cover interlock device must be a NZ thing, and a good idea too.

They are not mandatory here in the UK, and I have never seen one fitted.
I have repaired hundreds of microwave ovens.
That's interesting - it was simply a microswitch with a lever that removing the metal outside cover allowed to flip up. I've not done that many ovens here (probably under 10) but they all had this protection. Wonder why not in the UK?
Old 24th May 2018, 3:47 pm   #64
AC/HL
Dekatron

Presumably it's a regulatory requirement in NZ. It isn't here, so a few pence shaved off. It's easily bypassed, but means that a casual tamperer can't take the cover off live.
Closed Thread