UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2007, 9:22 am   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default How are newer sets converged?

Hi all,

I'm not too sure if I have posted this in the right place so sorry moderators if I haven't

My question is, how are newer sets converged? I have a set from the eighties, it's an ITT something or other but there are no convergence controls ( there are no convergence problems with it) Do all PIL tubes not require convergence?

This is just something I would be quite interested to know how it worked.

Thanks
Lee
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 10:13 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: convergence

Hello Lee,
The first colour tubes employed in the U.K. were known as 'DELTA GUN' the three guns were in the form of a triangle with the blue gun usually at the top. The result was that the three beams landed at the sctreen all at differemt angles and shapes and complex circuits to correct this were developed. These were basically a mixture of frame and line pulses that were adjustable, hence all the pots, that were then passed to a set of coils on the tube neck. These coils stretched and pulled the three rasters into shape.
With the coming of the 'IN LINE GUN' assembly, as the name suggests the three guns were placed in a straight line with usually the green in the centre.
The green gun would then require no correction at all other than purity adjustment and the alignment of the red and green was then much easier reducing the convergence controls to just a few. The Rank Z718 using a Toshiba tube is an early example.
As manufacture of tubes improved the gun assembly and scanning coils were highly refined together with the bulb shape resulting in little if any corection being required. The modern CRT is indeed a true wonder of the world. Hope this very basic non technical explanation will help answer your query, Regards John.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 11:05 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The modern CRT is indeed a true wonder of the world.
I am as astonished as John. If somebody described the basis of a colour CRT you wouldn't believe it should work, let alone work well. Colour CRT technology has survived almost 60 years which just shows how hard it was for any other technology to mount a convincing challenge.

Mass production brought the cost of a bulky and high precision item down to an incredible low.

As for converging delta gun CRTs, I have also worked on professional monitors which had many more pots than domestic tellies. This allowed you to get good convergence right into the corners. Despite the number of pots, professional monitors were usually easier than tellies because there was less interaction between the controls and less need to find an acceptable compromise.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 12:38 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

The large Hi Res Sony Monitors we use for Radar displays have digital convergence controls. The unit is set up with an internal test pattern, and a small plug in "mouse" type unit (more like the old digitiser - a set of cross hairs and three buttons). As you move the mouse across the screen, you can set up linearity and convergence for each point on the screen. It takes me about 12 hours, but the guys in the display workshop can set one up in between 2 and 4 hours, after a tube change.

By the way, we set them up differently, depending on whether they they will be used on the North or South side of the ops room (2 hot standby monitors facing in opposite directions).

Jim.
Closed Thread