UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2015, 11:39 pm   #1
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Ekco U332

I have just finished this radio, I like the Bakelite/Plastic Ekco/Ferranti radios from approximatley 1959-62, not everyones taste but I like them. I did another a few months ago but that had a speaker cloth which required replacing, this is plastic and required washing only. Nothing difficult with the electrical part, usually capacitors and resistors, the cabinet required repainting after a good clean.
Photos attached of before and after if it is of interest.
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	103817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	103818  

Last edited by Nuvistor; 8th Feb 2015 at 12:00 am.
Old 7th Feb 2015, 11:44 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco U332

Photo attached of the U332 completed earlier with photo to show the differences.
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	103820  
Old 8th Feb 2015, 12:05 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Those really do look very smart.

Not really my kind of set, but they're growing on me. How do yours sound?

Nick.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 12:06 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There's a Ferranti here which you might like: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=113277
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=113277
Old 8th Feb 2015, 1:53 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

How do they sound? Well to my cloth ears they sound good, one thing I have found is the pair of radios with FM, Ferranti U1003 and U1032 they are excellent on FM. The AM stations on all 5 of the radios I have however sometimes sound compressed or clipped. I presume this is the quality of the transmission.
I use a MiniMod from Ian(thanks Ian it works well) the AM is excellent when I use this for either music from an iPod or streaming music from the Internet via the iPod.
Listening to Klassic Radio 92.2 from Germany via the iPod at the moment and it is good. ( Trying to improve my German Language, not getting far).

I did see those radios you linked to, I already have another Ekco radio, wooden cabinet, to refurbish and that will be a job for next winter if I decide to sort it. Not sure, still like the plastic/Bakelite ones, see if I want to sort it out or change it for another plastic.

I picked up a nice little Pye R33 from Golborne last Nov/Dec not sure which month it was and that came up nice as well.

I don't want to have too many, it could easily take over the house and I don't want that, more items more dusting but thanks for pointing it out.
Frank
Old 14th Feb 2015, 12:31 am   #6
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Hi Frank,

I have one of these in working condition and I love it:

https://www.***********/photos/gary_c.../in/photolist-

To my ears the sound is very good, it seems to be a powerful little set. The case on this one has had a re-spray, and not in an original colour, but I still like it.

I have another U332 which is currently in bits in my garage. The case needs some work as it has a chunk missing, but I would like to get it going soon.

I hope you enjoy your radio, I am sure that Eric Kirkham Cole would be very proud to know that his creations are still functioning even today.

Regards,

Gary
Old 14th Feb 2015, 7:30 am   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Yes the radios are good, I also like is that for me they are easy to work on. Plenty room to get hands inside, my hands are a bit clumsy these days.
Your example is good, the paint on the one shown on mine is not the original colour, I tried to match it but did not quite get there.
Thanks to you and Nick also for the kind comments
Frank
Old 14th Feb 2015, 11:59 pm   #8
gary_crutchley
Heptode

I agree about the ease of access. All of the valves are right at the back of the case, and there is the little slide out plate on the base. You can do so many jobs without having to remove the chassis.
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 11:11 am   #9
Tim
Dekatron

Nice simple sets if I recall, excellent for beginners. No dial lamps though? ISTR not too many waxies either.
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 1:15 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Yes nice and simple but work very well, perhaps not the bass responce of the larger wooden cabinets but still pleasant to listen to.
One is in daily use, I must give the other some use.
Frank
Closed Thread