UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2005, 1:56 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Fidelity RAD 24 - British Made

Hello,

Ive just acquired a mint Fidelity RAD 24 radio with a label still attached proudly displaying 'British Made Fidelity Radio'. Am I right in thinking this was one of the last Fidelity radios made in the UK ?

Ive heard one or two folk cracking jokes about these late Fidelity radios, fit only for the bathroom etc but I think its a 'fab' 1960s design, and Im pleased to be the new owner of this British Made radio

Howard

PS: Tis a bit tacky but I dont care
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fidelity.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2052  

Last edited by howard; 22nd Nov 2005 at 2:04 pm.
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 2:25 pm   #2
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fidelity RAD 24 - British Made

Cracking jokes? Hmm, well yes, I have been guilty of that - it is easy to pick holes in many Fidelity products!

That said Howard, you might just have the last laugh; after all just look at what has become valuable and collectable from ealier times...

Think basic round Ekco or Philco "peoples' set" Versus some fine RGD et al
or crude Dansette record player Versus a Hacker.

The time may yet come when people gather round and gaze in wonder at an Amstrad tower system discovered up in grandma's loft....

Go for it Howard - and there's no shame in tacky (or am I just trying to justify some of the things in my own collection...?)
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 4:18 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Fidelity RAD 24 - British Made

Hello Stewart,

Youre right, Dansette record players are a bit tacky and do fetch silly prices, up to £250 on eBay, whereas sturdy old Hackers fetch a fraction of those prices. Its quite a nice design this Fidelity, and one glance at it and I think most folk would recognise it as a 60s-70s radio but its nowhere near the build quality of a Bush, Roberts or Hacker of that time .... I suspect though that theyre already a lot rarer than those cos collectors have turned their noses up at them and so theyve all been chucked in the bin, so who knows, it may well become a very desirable collectible quite soon

Howard

Last edited by howard; 22nd Nov 2005 at 4:34 pm.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 8:02 pm   #4
ianj
Heptode

Smile Re: Fidelity RAD 24 - British Made

these trannies are still being junked by the dozen every day in the UK-Fidelity may well become collectable through eventual rarity--but they were not particulary cheap at the time(70s) as you could have bought an ITT or a Bush for the same money, and had a much better set.............they tended to be sold by the Catalogue brigade, and Co-ops etc. A big selling point with the range was a trawler band, or fm band, etc. big and flashy...............works every time.........................(!) ianj
Closed Thread