UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2005, 2:26 pm   #1
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default PP3 Batteries

These look just the job for making 90volt batteries at a good price as well
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PP3-9-Volt-Zin...QQcmdZViewItem

Mike
Old 6th Nov 2005, 2:39 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PP3 Batteries

Some of his other items seem a reasonable buy too, although these PP3s seem too cheap to me ....... 'new and unused' they may be, but I wonder how near the end of their shelf life they are ?
Old 6th Nov 2005, 2:56 pm   #3
dave_n_t
Hexode

Quote:
but I wonder how near the end of their shelf life they are ?
Well, it's not clear from the advert. But the prices are very similar to the exact same items from CPC, and the postage + VAT overhead is less.
I guess if he'd bought them in bulk there'd still be a margin for him.

I've used these (but from CPC ) to make HT packs, and they work very well.
Old 6th Nov 2005, 6:12 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

I just bought a box of these and will report back once I have my batteries and have checked the expiry date.
Old 6th Nov 2005, 8:48 pm   #5
Bob_Moss
Pentode

7dayshop do a bulk pack of 10 Energiser titanium alkaline PP3s for £4.99 + postage.

I've got some for general use, they have a very long shelf life. Look at 7dayshop for their NiMh rechargeables and chargers too!
Old 6th Nov 2005, 8:55 pm   #6
stevekendal
Heptode

GP batteries should be ok, 20 heading my way now!
Old 6th Nov 2005, 9:02 pm   #7
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Link to 7dayshop batteries:-

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=99153

Looks like a good deal. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 7th Nov 2005, 9:57 pm   #8
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

I e-Mailed the guy selling the GP PP3's to enquire about the use by date and he replied that they are current stock bought in May this year so that should give you about 4 to 5 years shelf life

Mike
Old 7th Nov 2005, 10:04 pm   #9
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo
Link to 7dayshop batteries:-

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=99153

Looks like a good deal. .

Regards, Mick.
If you look on the 7dayshop site you will find they were listed sept 2004 and there is feedback from one buyer dated 6-11-05 that states the batteries use by date is 2006 not such a good deal after all

Mike
Old 8th Nov 2005, 11:09 pm   #10
stevekendal
Heptode

Mine just arrived. Dated 10-05, but they check ok at 9.93v and I dont intend to keep them before I use them. Can try all my portable valvies now Steve.
Old 8th Nov 2005, 11:17 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I would reject them as they are out of date - unless they were sold as out of date at a suitably reduced price. The off-load voltage may be fine but once you load them with 10-20mA the voltage may well drop or they may not last that long.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Nov 2005, 1:02 pm   #12
GJR 11L
Heptode

Mine arrived earlier this morning and are (just) within date (11/05). I have tried them with a Roberts R66 and the Sky Prince and tested them with the meter (average 9.89Volts each) too, no problems. I guess I'm lucky in this case, perhaps the other box was sent in error & should have been caught prior to despatch?

I suppose I could put one in a '60s shirt pocket set and see how long it plays before the battery dies, but they were bought specifically to enable me to use some of the battery valve sets more frequently and as such are fine.

Last edited by GJR 11L; 10th Nov 2005 at 1:09 pm. Reason: clarification as usual!
Old 10th Nov 2005, 8:21 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
Out of date batteries are not a problem if they have been stored in a cool dry atmosphere. When I closed my shop in 2000 I had a complete rack of unsold batteries. I gave a some away but kept all the PP3's and AA cells.
The expiry dates are around 2003 and they are still well on top. I made up a 90volt pack a few weeks back and it seems to be working fine and holding its own. Its all down to storage but if kept in hot moist conditions will fail as Paul suggests after a limited use. Regards. JOHN.
Old 15th Nov 2005, 1:30 am   #14
stevekendal
Heptode

One Sky Queen working fine on these out-of-date batteries and so I just ordered some more. Cheap as chips Steve.
Old 15th Nov 2005, 8:13 am   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort
Hello,
Out of date batteries are not a problem if they have been stored in a cool dry atmosphere.
The pair of Ever Ready HP2s in my doorbell were in-place when the house was bought 12 years ago, and have a use-by date of 1990 stamped into their bases, yet they still work and haven't leaked (much!)

Similarly, I found a cassette recorder at my grandmother's house last week which still had its original AA Duracells in place, which must date from about 1984-5. And that still worked too.

Nick.
Old 15th Nov 2005, 11:22 am   #16
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist
The pair of Ever Ready HP2s in my doorbell were in-place when the house was bought 12 years ago, and have a use-by date of 1990 stamped into their bases, yet they still work and haven't leaked (much!)

Similarly, I found a cassette recorder at my grandmother's house last week which still had its original AA Duracells in place, which must date from about 1984-5. And that still worked too.
It varies a lot with the manufacturer. I bought some Samsung zinc-carbons a few years ago which died about a week after the use by date. OTOH a pair of no-brand AAs in a 99p torch worked well until nearly 10 years past the date. It's all a bit of a lottery - you can't rely on well known brands being the best. All alkalines seem to survive for many years after the use by date.

If you ever come across military surplus alkalines being sold off they're an excellent buy. They're made by Duracell and will have been stored well. They're sold off as they approach the use by date so will be good for many years.

Best regards, Paul
Closed Thread