UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2005, 11:54 am   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Seller of the RG449 I picked up yesterday.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5900

I have just pointed the seller (Keith) to this forum - he has a workshop full of 1930s radiograms, including an emormous RGD as big as a sideboard - two ME 12 inch ME speakers, PX4s still there and the RF chassis about two feet wide.

He does not do the electronics, though, but I feel he could with a bit of help. We'll see.
Old 14th Nov 2005, 6:10 pm   #2
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Seller of the RG449 I picked up yesterday.

Glad you are pleased with it Mike and it has gone to a good home. As you can see I have followed your advice and joined up! I think you will have hours of fun with the 'Radio Brain' push-button tuning, especially once it's been over-hauled. It is a fantastic piece of design. I did once find instructions for adjustment of the mechanism some where on the internet. If I can track them down again I will let you know. Just one point to correct I am afraid, the large radiograms are HMV 800’s with PX25 valves. I don’t think I could afford the equivalent RGD model! I am extremely colour blind so I think me and electronics are not a very good combination but I do like the cabinet restoration side. Look forward to reading of your Ekco progress. Regards Keith
Old 14th Nov 2005, 6:19 pm   #3
Sam
Hexode

Welcome Keith, and dont let coulourblindness put you off the electrical side. I'm quite badly colourblind (one time I had my eyes tested the optician said I was the worst case he had seen! ). As I have said in this thread, you just are much more reliant on your multimeter - and I cannot really work without a circuit diagram to tell me the resistor values I should have!

I find the electrical side rewarding to work on. It is the part that turns an object from a nice-looking box into a working radio again!

Sam
Old 14th Nov 2005, 7:36 pm   #4
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the welcome Sam and your experience with colour blindness. Perhaps I might have ago but I think the HMV 800 is a bit ambitious to start with and I would hate to mess it up. I have found the information for Mike regarding the 'Radio Brain' push button tuning. http://www.classicwireless.btinternet.co.uk/ekcoj.htm This relates to the Ekco PB189 but the theory is the same as the RG489. Hope that it proves useful, Keith
Old 15th Nov 2005, 12:10 am   #5
joe
Rest in Peace

Welcome Keith

I'll just echo Sam's words since he & I are at opposite ends of our careers; I'm now retired after a working lifetime in electronics, mostly in R&D & despite being quite badly colourblind I've hardly ever caused a firework display through it thanks to the use of AVOs, DVMs, and colleagues who despite ribald comments were always helpful.
BTW roughly 8-10% of all males are colourblind to some extent.
I must say I envy your radiograms but space utterly precludes them from my garage. I still keep tripping over a Murphy baffle-board that I acquired & didn't really want.

Joe
Old 15th Nov 2005, 9:21 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Keith

Really nice to see so soon! Sorry about calling the HMV an RGD - I was somewhat overwhelmed by your collection at the time.

Good to see the item on the link - it also gives me an idea of what the back cover is like.