UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2011, 9:19 pm   #41
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush AC34 cabinet veneer

Chat up somebody with a vacum bag.. 14lbs per square inch.. perfect veneering every time.

Good Luck.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 2:22 pm   #42
brenellic2000
Octode

14psi is atmospheric pressure! Do you mean a vacuum by drawing 14" of mercury?

Barry
Old 13th Jun 2011, 3:01 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

Hello Barry....Dunno... it works though....did some prestige work with a friend a while back...1st class. We may have something in common though..big saws!..Mine was a Stenner.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 4:01 pm   #44
brenellic2000
Octode

Pah!
Ours is a 1929 Robinson 20ft band-rack! OK she's a tiddler (4ft) but still works well - most of our machinery is pre-war - some Boer War!... like a treadle operated circular saw! I'm getting old....!
Old 13th Jun 2011, 4:07 pm   #45
ms660
Dekatron

Hello Barry, I will PM you if thats ok am interested in old saws!

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 4:15 pm   #46
brenellic2000
Octode

They don't make 'em like they used to... mind you they don't make them at all now!
Old 5th Aug 2011, 4:54 pm   #47
davidgem1406
Heptode

Well here we are back at last and the cabinet is now completed, took some time, lol, I just put it to one side and left it. One day I decided I had to finish it. So here it is.

I finished it all in walnut so it is rather a lot darker that the original finish, also the grain of the veneer shows up a lot as it is quite coarse. I rubbed it down a fair bit but could not do much more as it was getting thinner all the time.

Anyhow as a first time effort I think it eventually came out OK.

Regards to all
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006-cabinet-varnished.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	54715   Click image for larger version

Name:	007-cabinet-trim-fitted.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	54716   Click image for larger version

Name:	008-completed.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	54717  
Old 5th Aug 2011, 11:08 pm   #48
Audio1950
Dekatron

Just OK? That's brilliant, well done! I've got an HMV cabinet gramophone that needs one side re-veneering, but I haven't plucked up the courage to attempt it yet. If it turns out like that, I'll be well pleased.

Barry
Old 6th Aug 2011, 2:36 pm   #49
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi Barry,

Thanks, It took me a fair time to get the nerve to have a go at it. When I did I made several mistakes, the biggest I think was wetting the veneer to much so that it distorted so making it difficult to apply. That just lead to more problems over time that I had to solve. Also this cabinet having a rounded edge made it quite difficult. The sides were quite straight forward as they are flat.

At one point I just lost interest in it and just left it to one side for quite a while before I got round to having a go at finishing it.

However I got there in the end and next time I don't think I will be wetting the veneer first.

Dave.
Old 7th Aug 2011, 8:10 pm   #50
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Go to the top of the class Dave. You've done a wonderful job for a first attempt and I bet you now do more.

I'm sorry to hear of your veneer wetting problems. When I did my first ever veneering job I had nightmares due to laying dry veneer; as soon as the hide glue was brushed on the veneer just about walked out of the workshop as it curled and twisted so badly; it was only after a massive struggle and a great deal of frustration that I learned to wet the other side to balance the glue.

For my Ekco TV cabinet I gave all the veneers a good soaking with warm water then ran the hot iron over both sides ensuring the veneer did not dry out whilst ironing; if the veneer didn't give up the fight after the first ironing I went over again until it behaved and laid dead flat on the kitchen work surface; did the veneer actually dry out during your ironing and was the iron hot enough?

The end results you achieved speak for themselves and I hope it encourages others to have a go at veneering; isn't it a wonderful feeling to stand back after putting in so much time and effort to say I did that!!

I've not spent much time on the forum over the last few months as I've been too busy elsewhere; I try to make the most of warm weather whilst it lasts doing jobs around the bungalow.

You've now left the novice stage Dave with veneering and I hope you do a lot more with the same success.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 7th Aug 2011, 10:18 pm   #51
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi Col,
Nice to see you back.
The veneer did not dry out when ironed but rather distorted badly when it was wetted it seemed to expand at different rates along the grain and pull apart in places producing cracks. Anyhow I got over it eventually but it was one pig job to lay it as it never returned to being flat.

It looks like i may well have another one to do at some time, again with a rounded top edge.

I'm pleased it turned out OK in the end.

Best wishes
Dave
Old 9th Aug 2011, 4:33 pm   #52
davidgem1406
Heptode

I have now added a new Bush logo to the cabinet as the final touch.
It can be seen here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...187#post456187

The decal can be saved from there as well if anybody wants it.

Thanks
Dave.
Closed Thread