UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2018, 8:44 pm   #1
John Earland
Hexode

Default Bakelite 300 series query

Hi everyone,
I have a working 300 series phone but want to replace the dial (not original anyway) and replace it with a blank plate. If I simply remove the dial, will I still be able to receive calls and effectively use it as in internal phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, John
Old 26th Jun 2018, 10:04 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Bakelite 300 series query

Yes if you strap the two terminals in the telephone that the pink and orange leads from the dial are connected to on the strip with five terminals - terminals 4 & 5. See http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor.../0000/N432.pdf.
Ian J
Old 28th Jun 2018, 8:12 am   #3
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks Ian - that’s really helpful. I will check it out - thanks again! Best wishes, John
Old 30th Jun 2018, 7:45 pm   #4
John Earland
Hexode

Hi Ian, thank you for that post. I strapped the pink and orange terminals but I get nothing - no ring when the a call is received and nothing through the handset - any ideas would be gratefully received.
Best wishes,
John
Old 30th Jun 2018, 8:45 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If it was working with the dial in place, strapping terminals 4 & 5 in the 'phone is simply replacing what the pink and orange leads of the dial were doing with the dial in place (and at rest). What you describe sounds as though there is no continuity between these terminals - except that the ringer should still be in circuit when the 'phone is on-hook pretty much regardless of what you do with the dial. Are you sure you haven't disturbed something else in the process of removing the dial?
Old 30th Jun 2018, 9:02 pm   #6
John Earland
Hexode

LOL! Yes, I probably have knowing me! I think I will strip it down again and have another go! Thanks for the advice, Cheers John
Old 30th Jun 2018, 9:18 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I don't want to come over all 'grandmother-suck-eggsy' but have you read the dial strip numbers correctly? I wouldn't go by colours alone as they may have been incorrectly used in the past.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Jun 2018, 9:28 pm   #8
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks guys -I have a dial tone now- but the bell doesn’t ring. I’m using the original phone to line cloth cord which is in pretty good condition. I can communicate fine - no bell though. I’ve connected the original cord as follows: T1=white; T3=Green; T9=Red. there’s a strap between T9 and T8 and a resistor between T11 and T12. I’ve connected the three old cables to a new BT line as follows (BT line first): Blue to Green; White to Red; Red to White - haven’t used the BT Green wire. Have I got this part wrong? Thanks again guys for coming to my rescue! Cheers, John
Old 30th Jun 2018, 10:44 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

John,

Check the wiring is like this and it should work. Then report back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	332 modified cct.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	165393  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 1st Jul 2018, 6:33 am   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Earland View Post
I’ve connected the three old cables to a new BT line as follows (BT line first): Blue to Green; White to Red; Red to White - haven’t used the BT Green wire. Have I got this part wrong?
Try swapping the red and white wires. If you've connected red to white and vice versa, you probably have the polarity reversed - hence not sending a ringing current to the bell.
Old 1st Jul 2018, 11:36 am   #11
John Earland
Hexode

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for all your ideas. I have three chassis that I’ve tried and I can’t get any bell to ring! I shall try to upload the image of the connections. everything seems to be where it should be! Could be a bad connection in the old cable or even the new one I suppose.

Any other ideas will be very welcome!
Best wishes,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EDC94CF-4D96-442D-863A-6FDFF4E404DC.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	165411  
Old 1st Jul 2018, 11:47 am   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Any chance you're connecting it to just a 2- wire line into a slave socket box? This would not provide any ringing signal to a phone expecting 3-wire feed from the master socket with its ring capacitor.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Jul 2018, 11:52 am   #13
John Earland
Hexode

Thank Chris,
No its an ordinary BT extension cable which I know is okay. I’ve just tried connecting up the BT straight into the phone bypassing the original one and it seems to work. Is I guess there’s a problem with the old cable. Strangely I can hear and speak but the bell line must be damaged? I don’t know which colour the bell line is though!
BW
J
Old 1st Jul 2018, 2:18 pm   #14
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The Blue (in your case Green) wire in the line cord should go to T11. It looks like you've got it on T6.

Have a look at: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TfdvweZZ1...conversion.jpg
Old 1st Jul 2018, 3:49 pm   #15
John Earland
Hexode

Thanks to everyone for their advice - I can’t tell you how helpful you’ve all been - thank you. That;s a great diagram and I have connected it as it suggested. I have discovered that it is indeed a fault with the green cable! I don’t know which end or where but at least I know it’s that! Thanks again to everyone.
Best wishes,
John
Old 1st Jul 2018, 4:18 pm   #16
John Earland
Hexode

Just tried taking the wires apart! Oh my god - There’s no way I can bare all those tiny wires!! Even if I knew where the break was!
Closed Thread