UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2018, 7:00 pm   #1
AN53808
Diode

Default 332L Excessive Sidetone Advice

I have a converted 332L Mk2A telephone, originally manufactured in 1956. The handset has a replacement electret 21A and the receiver looks to be the original type 2P with a diaphragm 25. I have been using it for about 4 years, but to me the level of sidetone is distractingly high. In all other aspects the 'phone is faultless. I've included a photo of the general wiring configuration. I've compared this to information contained in this forum and on other websites and all looks to be in order to me.

I was wondering if there is a problem with the ASTIC No. 27 and whether anyone can offer any advice on some voltage / impedance measurements I can make to begin to check the anti-sidetone circuitry.

Regards,

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	164265  
Old 9th Jun 2018, 10:40 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: 332L Excessive Sidetone Advice

Can you try a carbon mic No: 13 in it for comparison? What is the d.c. voltage on the mic terminals when the handset is off-rest? Are there any comments from those to whom you speak on this telephone about sound levels?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 7:33 pm   #3
AN53808
Diode

Apologies for the delay in replying. Unfortunately I'm new to vintage telephones and so I don't currently have any spare components to try. I've just taken the electret transmitter out of the handset and I have 6.28V d.c. across the mic terminals off-hook. I have a square black transmitter with a detachable red surround held in place with a little foam. From a little internet research this looks like a standard conversion with the original transmitter casing removed to allow it to fit in the 164 handset. Maybe the modern transmitter performance is just a little too good in comparison to the original carbon granule version and hence gives a high amount of sidetone. I haven't had any comments regarding sound levels.

Andy
Old 16th Jun 2018, 7:07 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

6.28V is a reasonable voltage to be dropped across the mic and sounds correct to me. The mic is a vast improvement on the Inset No:13 that was originally fitted. And even they varied from mic to mic.

If you disconnected the handset at terminals 4, 5 and 6 and removed the link between terminals 1 and 2 you could measure the ASTIC d.c. resistances with the handset off-rest.

Between 5 and 6 is about 105 Ohms.
Between 5 and 1 is about 35 Ohms.
Between 13 and 6 is about 105 Ohms.
Between 13 and 5 is about 60 Ohms.
Between 1 and 6 is about 140 Ohms.

The above are give-or-take maybe 5% but anything radically different may indicate a fault. I would have thought it unlikely the ASTIC go faulty, mind.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 12:09 pm   #5
AN53808
Diode

Thanks for the typical resistance values. I've taken the measurements you suggest, see below:

Between 5 and 6 - 109.7 Ohms
Between 5 and 1 - 37.6 Ohms
Between 13 and 6 - 112.2 Ohms
Between 13 and 5 - 61.5 Ohms
Between 1 and 6 - 147.2 Ohms

So the ASTIC and associated wiring looks fine to me. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to using mobiles without sidetone these days, that I've forgotten what it's like to use a proper telephone instrument!

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Andy
Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:18 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Andy,

You're welcome. I have a 706, a 746, an 8782 and an Ericsson N1071 deployed in the house, and sidetone is good and clear. 706 and 746 have carbon inset mics and still a decent level of sidetone.

If you're used to modern instruments with VOGADS etc..., then 'traditional' instruments may come as a bit of a surprise!

Your measurements are pretty similar to the ones I took on my 332 for comparison.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread