UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2016, 5:48 pm   #1
HALE1985
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai GX-650D Problems

I picked up an Akai GX-650D from a charity shop. It plays but the pinch wheels don't lower so it plays at a trillion rpm. It doesn't fast forward or rewind, and the right tension lever seems to do nothing, unlike the left one which sits horizontal, the right one hangs down vertically. Possibly disconnected inside, not sure if that would affect the pinch wheels, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I will add pictures, and if possible a video.
Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:19 pm   #2
johnny english
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai GX-650D Problems

Hi and welcome to the forum.
This machine contains many components and moving parts activated by relays, not knowing the history of the machine you could safely say that a good service would be the order of the day. As for diagnosing the fault it would be helpful to yourself to obtain a copy of the service manual which you can get for free from vinyl engine on the web, this will enable you to identify parts etc. If you have a test meter this will enable you to test components and voltages which will help in finding out where the problem lies. Once you have studied the manual your half way to completing the job. The folks on here are very good and will help guide you through the processes. The Akai GX-650D was one of akai`s most popular reel to reel.
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:16 pm   #3
HALE1985
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your input, I have the service manual, but unfortunately it's not exactly in HD, so not exactly the greatest detail in the diagrams. I've only recently taken an interest in reel to reel, Since picking this machine up, at least gives me something to work on. thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 8:33 am   #4
Michael Maurice

With the machine switched off, do the pinch rollers move freely up to or down to the capstan?

If not its probably due to dried up grease.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 4th May 2016, 12:42 pm   #5
HALE1985
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah they move freely, not sure why they don't move when I press play though.

I've just been checking out some videos on YouTube and 1 thing I notice is that unlike every other 650d i've seen, The left reel spins clockwise, and the right one anticlockwise, judging by the videos I've seen the should both rotate anticlockwise.
Old 9th May 2016, 5:55 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

These machines run as said above using relays, the 260D are latched using transistors ( yours may use IC's) , so they'll want checking, as will the caps, but start with checking voltages on the electronics side. the mechanical side will need a good look at too. Are the belts on the way out? Looking at the service manual for the 260D, which I have here at the mo, the pictures are very clear and comprehensive, as is the motor control circuit.

With no tapes on, the left reel table revolves clockwise using a slipping clutch mechanism, this is to keep tension on the tape; the right revolves anti clockwise. If you watch a video with the FF or RW engaged, it looks like the two tables are spinning in opposite directions, theyre not, it's an optical illusion.

Sounds like your deck needs a lot of work, don't wish to be discouraging, but these are pretty complex machines, your perhaps better off giving it to someone to look at.

Good luck, Andy.