UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2016, 8:03 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default A77 Optical Sensor

Hi all, a quick request for advice. I'm in the process of refurbishing a nice Revox A77 1/4 Track machine. All is going well and I'm gradually working through changing the capacitors. I have discovered that the end of tape shut off sensor is not working. In a box of spare bits I've bought with the machine there is a replacement optical sensor. Unfortunately it does not have the two wires connected to it, I will have to use the ones off of the one I'm replacing. In the service manual it states not to solder them as the sensor is heat sensitive. The spare I have has obviously been desoldered so it must be possible.
My question is this. Are there any tricks, advice or trade secrets in soldering parts such as these? It must be possible as the existing one on the machine has soldered connections.
Mike
Old 21st Apr 2016, 8:11 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: A77 Optical Sensor

Usual trick is to put a heat sink between the solder joint and the component - somewhere I have a very neat pair of ali reverse tweezers which work a treat, but a pair of long-nosed pliers would do just as well.
Old 21st Apr 2016, 9:43 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

With good technique and a thermostatic iron fitted with the appropriate sized tip, it's possible to solder most things without overheating them.

When I put a new thermal fuse (obviously temperature-sensitive) in an electric heater, I first cleaned the leads thoroughly, so the solder would take easily; doused the body with freezer spray, gripped the lead with pliers and soldered it as quickly as I dared; and let the whole thing cool down before doing the other lead.

It held; but I'll bet it wouldn't have, if I had bought only one replacement thermal fuse and not a pack of five .....
Old 21st Apr 2016, 10:06 pm   #4
Linnovice
Hexode

Hmmm, I like your style but I've only got one optical sensor �� . . .
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 3:39 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The link given in post no.3 in this thread might prove helpful.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 6:38 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

A croc clip, bulldog clip etc works as a heatsink and using a hot iron and flux helps too. It's about dwell time Mike, IE how long your iron is on the component. With a good hot iron, and a bit of preparation and forethought it's pretty straight forward, same as soldering batteries. See this video ..... at around 24:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqsXe3IKTCo for how to solder batteries, perhaps you could practice on a few dead ones to get your technique down first?

Andy.