UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2018, 6:12 pm   #21
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto..

Oh okay. What is the best stereo/ stereo compatable cartridge for these as my records range from 1950s - 1980s. I have very few mono records so i need a stereo or stereo compatable.

Thanks
Old 12th Sep 2018, 7:10 am   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Now we know you intend to use your "Conquest Auto" for mainly stereo records, you will need to (ideally) fit a stereo cartridge such as a BSR SC11M or 12/M or H and bridge the LH and RH channels. If you are very lucky, you may be able to still find a BSR X5M stereo-compatible cartridge, no bridging will be needed. All of these can also allow for the playing of 78 rpm records with the correct double-sided stylus.
OR.....you can attempt to fit a Chinese Red Generic (microgroove only) ceramic cartridge. Whilst these are cheap, you will have to make a mount for the screw fixing in the UA14's tone arm and ensure the tracking/alignment is accurate. Again bridge the channels. When viewed from the front the stylus must be vertical and from the side a negative 15 degree rearwards slope.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 11:11 am   #23
John10b
Nonode

I’ve just ordered two Red Chinese Cartridges for under £5, this is my first time I’ve ordered such cheap items ( i normally pay about £45 ), so i will be very interested in the results, other forum members have spoken well of them!
As Edward has commented fixing will require a little ingenuity.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 4:25 pm   #24
19Seventy7
Octode

I shall give these a look! even if they are temporary, for under a fiver I suppose if they are terrible, you got what you paid for, if you get better, you got a bargain!

I don't suppose you could send me the link, I think I have found it and I would just like to make sure I got the correct one.

Edit: I have a Dynatron HFC 51 fitted with a M75-6 or 6s cartridge, which is a stereo magnetic cartridge, would this work on my Dansette as my Dynatron is playing up and needs work. Would the cartridge work or would it have no use?
Thanks.

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 13th Sep 2018 at 4:46 pm.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 5:44 pm   #25
John10b
Nonode

I ordered them from Amazon just do a Search you will find plenty on there, i just went for the cheapest.
No your magnetic cartridge is not suitable for your Dansette.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 5:58 pm   #26
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Would the cartridge work or would it have no use?
Thanks.
In one word, no.
Oh, okay.

Thanks.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 6:54 pm   #27
19Seventy7
Octode

Would this work with the Dansette and does anyone know if these styli are Diamond or sapphire, I read the description to find out but was just told its elliptical.

This is also stereo and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which wire connects to which "prod" at the back of the cartridge (I don't know the actual term)

I also have the issue that one of the wires has been disconnected from the plastic connectors somehow, and of course falls out, how do I fix this?

Thanks
Old 13th Sep 2018, 7:42 pm   #28
Techman
Dekatron

The last ones I bought were £1.14 each including postage, the cheapest on there (how do they do it?) from ebay. I've bought from a couple of different sellers at that price, both from China and had no problems - obviously they are likely to take a week or two to arrive, but there was no rush as they were just for stock. I've found the quality to about be as good as anything else out there. Remember, these are medium output ceramics, so won't be good enough to drive a single stage valve amplifier. As said, you'll have to devise a fitting method, although for just over a tenner, you can buy the same cartridge with a mounting clip - I think these are from UK sellers. I did a quick check on generic cartridges on ebay and noted loads of sellers still selling them from £1.14 and upwards, so no need to pay over the odds - I would get a couple while you're at it.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 8:22 pm   #29
19Seventy7
Octode

Yes I think I will. I'll have a look now at these cartridges. I think I'll get a fitting, as creating my own won't really work as I'm not exactly a great person for creating things for existing objects. Thanks for the reply!
Old 13th Sep 2018, 8:43 pm   #30
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You should find 4 wires in the tone arm of your Dansette - red, white, black and green/blue. At the end of these are the (delicate) Connectors that push fit onto the "Prods" (Pins) on your new cartridge. You will not hear your stereo records correctly on your Dansette until you have properly "bridged" the LH and RH channels of the new cartridge. This is best (and far more easily) done on the tag card underneath the autochanger. This will "sum" the stereo channels to allow you to hear your records correctly in glorious Mono.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 11:07 pm   #31
19Seventy7
Octode

Sorry, but what/where is the tag card? I'm relatively new to all this, sorry...

Thanks
Old 15th Sep 2018, 11:14 pm   #32
Techman
Dekatron

It's where the wires from the cartridge end up connected to under the deck after they exit the tone arm.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:40 am   #33
19Seventy7
Octode

Ohh… Okay, thank you.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 9:34 am   #34
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

In some recod decks, including several BSR models, the pickup wires are brought out to a pair of RCA (Phono) sockets mounted on the deck underside, instead of a tag-card or tagstrip. This is to allow connection to an amplifier via a pair of screened leads terminated in phono plugs.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 9:59 am   #35
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That is quite correct, but to help the OP, they are not fitted to this particular type of autochanger.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 5:01 pm   #36
DonaldStott
Octode

This is a picture of the tag card from a Dansette "Monarch" that I restored earlier this year: -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&d=1522258032
Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:05 pm   #37
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh thank you. So for example, I connected the red and blue to the RH pins, I solder these to the RH connector on the tag card, The the same for Black and Yellow on the LH?

Thanks
Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:07 pm   #38
19Seventy7
Octode

Also, another question, is there anyway I can take the little flip over part from my old TC8 cartridge and attach it to the Dansettes' tone arm? Doesn't need to be functional but I like the look of them?

I've tried prising the actual cartridge bit out with no luck..
Old 17th Sep 2018, 7:09 am   #39
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The TC8 cartridge just pulls out of the die-cast metal part. If you leave it in, you will need to re-adjust the tracking weight. The wiring must be LH+ joined to RH+ and then LH- joined to RH-. In this way you "sum" the channels.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:12 am   #40
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Oh thank you. So for example, I connected the red and blue to the RH pins, I solder these to the RH connector on the tag card, The the same for Black and Yellow on the LH?
See here: -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...94&postcount=8