UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2016, 8:40 am   #1

Default Henlow Signals Museum

Only open once a month, Saturday is one of the days and i'm going.
http://www.rafsignalsmuseum.org.uk/index.html

Old 2nd Aug 2016, 10:42 am   #2

Default Re: Henlow Signals Museum

I have just received an email from them, it's open next Saturday.

Old 2nd Aug 2016, 1:10 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well worth a look- they have a genuine R1084 that was of interest to me for reasons explained here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=717664
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Sep 2016, 11:29 am   #4
Stuart R
Heptode

The closure of 13 MOD sites, including RAF Henlow was announced this week. Henlow is anticipated to close by 2020, but further details will be published later this year. Not sure how this will affect the Signals Museum.

If you do visit, there's a House Clearance shop on the nearby roundabout on the A600. It's worth popping in; last time I was passing, there was a Ferranti 255 in the window and a small collection of Roberts transistor sets inside. Usually a few clocks about too.

A pub and a few takeaways situated there as well, should you be hungry.

SR
Old 10th Sep 2016, 1:56 pm   #5
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi Stuart,
Yes it was on Tuesday this week that we received the devastating news of the station closure by spring 2020. It will enable us to see the centenary of the station and we have a little while yet but eventually the items on loan will be returned to their owners and the rest will be disposed of by various means.

I am looking to find other museum(s) to take some items. Our most recent innovation has been powering up the radar consoles. After all the work that has gone in into them, it would be a real shame for them to be returned to storage. We have a very impressive scenario running on the console type 64 that is being run from an Arduino. Amongst other things, the Arduino generates sin & cos sweep waveforms, range rings, echoes that move, jamming and coastline. The boys are also working on bring two of the other consoles back to life. Quite remarkable really as these things probably haven't seen power for 50 years or more!

Alf

Last edited by Alf Fisher; 10th Sep 2016 at 1:59 pm. Reason: Added information
Old 10th Sep 2016, 4:34 pm   #6

I am glad I visited when I did, I was the tall bloke that bashed the card into the window next to the radar display.

Old 10th Sep 2016, 5:59 pm   #7
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Fisher View Post
I am looking to find other museum(s) to take some items.
Alf

This was posted elsewhere and maybe of interest?

>>
Hello – saw your post about RAFARS museum. Thought I would let you know to pass on that Steve-G8EBM of enfield-data is creating a purpose made Radio Communications Museum of Great Britain radio museum and operating centre. He has built a massive building for it and is acquiring exhibits. He may be interested in hosting the RAFARS collection, - google images search g8ebm museum will amaze you

Kind regards,

Richard G3UGF
>>

BTW I grew up in the shadow of RAF Henlow, my father farmed a lot of the land bordering the airfield on the village side

Fred
Old 11th Sep 2016, 9:08 am   #8
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi Fred,
We like to think that people find the museum interesting and leave knowing more than they did before their visit.

That's an interesting thought about a national museum of communications.
where did you find this posting? I didnt know there was a RAFARS museum somewhere or is someone getting the names mixed up?

I've heard of a new one in Derby I think it was. Maybe someone can provide more info.

Cheers,
Alf
Old 11th Sep 2016, 9:30 am   #9
Stuart R
Heptode

Hello Alf,

I didn't know that the Signals Museum had a representative on this forum. Thanks for your reply.

Very sorry to hear about the Museum's uncertain future. It would be great if the collection could be kept together, re-homed and be displayed as working exhibits after the effort put in by you and your team of volunteers.

There was lots to look at when I my Father and I visited, (more than 5 years ago), but I don't think much of it was powered. I hope we can make a return visit soon and see what's new.

Best Wishes for a positive outcome,

Stuart.
Old 5th Nov 2017, 11:31 pm   #10
Stuart R
Heptode

I caught sight of a poster this weekend advertising the Henlow Signals Museum, sadly it pointed out that the Museum is still under the threat of closure. I checked-up on their website and the latest news doesn't look hopeful:

"With the threat of closure hanging over us, we will remain open until the end of 2017. Hopefully, in the future we will re-locate to an exciting new venue, but as yet, nothing is finalised."

"Please note: the December (2nd) Open Day may be our last as we have not had a reprieve on remaining open as a museum."

SR
Old 7th Nov 2017, 5:19 pm   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

I must say that I'm very upset at hearing of Henlow's proposed closure & subsequent threat to their Signals Museum. For two reasons :- Alf has kindly helped me with some research in the past, and many years ago RAF Henlow was the mother unit to 103MU's (Akrotiri, Cyprus) Test Equipment Dept where I was stationed back in the late 60's.
Hearing some years ago of 30MU's closure at RAF Sealand was another bitter blow. God knows who is now carrying out all the major (3rd line) servicing of the RAF's avionics & test equipment. Anybody know ?

Regards, David
Old 25th Nov 2017, 10:01 am   #12
sunthaiboy
Retired Dormant Member

I have not yet had the chance to visit the RAF Henlow museum, but I know the old REU (Radio Engineering Unit) well. I worked in EES/EWEF (Electrical Engineering/Electronic Warfare Engineering Flight) in the late 1970's and early 80's. As a young radio engineer (LAC Trade Group 3), I used to do the post runner chore and visit "Xtal flight" (one of 15 odd stop-off's) to deliver the post. What they ever did there was a great mystery to me. They had a very large Alsation dog which was always pleased to see passing visitors. The other side (site) of the station was OCTU (Officer Command Training Unit) also in its death throws. With a main road running though the middle of the station, security alerts weren't fun for the lower ranks as it meant having to search cars passing through. Joe public were never impressed.

I'm not fully "up-to-speed" with the why Henlow is at risk of closing. Lack of role or financial cuts seems likely? So many military establishments have vanished with barely a trace left.

The day was, when every Operational Station had its own Radio/Electronics Workshop. They were whittled down to 3/4th line repair centres (North Luff, Henlow and the like). Then we lost No 1 Radio School, training went off to Cosford. I guess we don't do that type of engineering any more because we live in a throw away world. 81SU (STCICS) where I worked as System Engineer did not last long either....I thought it was an amazing system!

Funding, accommodating and running museums or homes for retired radio equipment, (what most consider to be scrap) is a big problem for the few. Q. What do I do with my growing radio shed (housed in Criggion MW Radio Station) when I am finished with it (i.e. dead)? There appear to be less and less mad keen "radio/valve fan folk"" about. I guess its a bit like the Remembrance Day Parades, there will soon be a time when the few that knew, took part and lost loved one's aren't around to remember first hand. Are we living with one foot in the past with a bad dose of gangrene in the other?
Old 25th Nov 2017, 3:44 pm   #13

If it's not icy (not the best on two wheels) I will be there on the 2nd to at least take some photographs for record. If anyone sees a tall biker type do say "Hello, vintage radio net?".

Old 25th Nov 2017, 5:46 pm   #14
stitch1
Heptode

I visited Henlow in the early 80's as it's not far away from RAF Brampton Castle (No.2 signals unit - HF receiver station) and RAF Stanbridge, these were my first 2 postings. I went on to work on a wide range of radio equipment across the UK. Some of it still used valves and we were taught valve theory in training.

At the time lots of overseas stations were closing and we used to say the choice of postings was shrinking quicker than an RAF jumper ... looking at what's closed or closing there's not much left in the UK now either. I can easily think of a dozen camps I was either posted to or visited regularly to service kit that are now closed.

I was just looking at the museum website the other day and thinking I'd like to go (but its a long way from here) I'll have to see if I can make it next year. It would be interesting to see if I recognised anything.

John

Last edited by stitch1; 25th Nov 2017 at 5:56 pm.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 11:27 pm   #15
m0cemdave
Octode

I visited a few months ago, when it was the venue for the VMARS AGM.

Unusually for such a museum, many of the exhibits are actually connected up and working - so if you fancy operating a T1154 (into a dummy load), now's your chance...

Also noteworthy is the clever use of space, giving the TARDIS-like impression that there's a lot more inside the building than you might expect from the outside.

It's an excellent museum and it would be well worth making the effort to visit next week before it closes.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 6:12 pm   #16
sunthaiboy
Retired Dormant Member

Re John's post and mention of Brampton Castle (2SU receivers). My 81SU Bampton Castle (mid 1980's) posting was not many yards away. We had 3 antennas, A Plessey Pusher, Conifan and WB2/30. I remember the the LPH 73 at 2SU receivers. You really could not miss it! Happy days...
Old 27th Nov 2017, 6:26 pm   #17
stitch1
Heptode

Yes I remember having fun spinning it around!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aerialerector...=1#pageContent

I don't remember what we used it for but I do remember setting up an RA17 and teleprinter to get the football results on a Saturday which we'd then relay over to Cyprus and other outposts ... happy days indeed

John
Old 28th Nov 2017, 11:44 pm   #18
Alf Fisher
Hexode

As the curator, I think I should update you all as there has been a misunderstanding about what the Stn Cdr said over a year ago.

We met him recently at the local lower school on a WW2 project day and he asked how the museum was going. We soon got around to talking about the closure of the station and the museum. He said he didn't see why we should be thinking about closure of the museum at the moment and he thought we could carry on for another year or so.

At the moment, there is no more news of our future although it is thought that there may be a better idea of timescales next year around April/May time.

The museum will be open from 10.00 to 16.00 on Saturday 2nd December 2017.
We don't open in January so the next public open day in the new year will be Saturday 3rd February 2018.

Alf

Last edited by Alf Fisher; 28th Nov 2017 at 11:47 pm. Reason: Removal of redundant words
Old 29th Nov 2017, 9:50 am   #19
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I don't know which must be the most disheartening, knowing your museum is about to close, or being in limbo with 'not at the moment' and 'might carry on for another year or so'.
I sincerely hope a way of keeping it open long-term can be found, even if it means moving to another location.
Andy
Closed Thread