UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2017, 7:47 pm   #1
Paul Godley
Pentode

Default 26" Philips G8 - should I buy it?

Hello

I have a chance to buy a 26" Philips G8, model G26C526. what should I be offering? comes with stand and working I think..

Thanks

Paul G
Old 5th May 2017, 10:06 pm   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: 26" Philips G8 - should I buy it?

Hi Paul,
There seems to be a general perception amongst people who sell things on Ebay that if it's an old TV, it must be worth a fortune because it's 'rare'!
There is currently a 26" G8 on there for £180 ( is this the one you are interested in?).
In my view (as an enthusiast), the only reason to obtain a particular make of TV is because you want one and not with the prospect of any financial gain.
I therefore don't see TV's as a valuable commodity to be bought and sold. True enthusiasts usually exchange sets for very little in my experience.
I would like a G8 myself, for nostalgic reasons. 22" ones are heavy enough, but 26" ones are too much for me: my back won't stand it!
I would baulk at paying more than about £25 for any TV, however 'rare' it might be (but then I am something of a tight ae) £50 would be my absolute limit for anything- the most I have ever paid for a TV is £5!!
Just my view on the matter, I am sure others will have a different opinion!
Cheers Nick
Old 5th May 2017, 10:13 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Strictly no discussion of eBay auctions please.
Old 5th May 2017, 11:43 pm   #4
1100 man
Octode

My apologies. I only mentioned Ebay to illustrate my own personal view on the matter: I'll be more careful in future!!
Wrists duly slapped
Cheers Nick
Old 6th May 2017, 12:58 am   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There is no advised prices for old TV's, it's is what its worth to you. Nick wouldn't pay more than £50 for any Vintage TV, that would also be on the high side for me. Others will happily pay much more.
If you have access to the TV you need to to take the back off and make sure it is complete and no obvious damaged PCB's. If this is not possible then that would reflect in a reduced price in my mind, but many would be OK with it.

Not much help but only you know what you can afford and the max you are prepared to pay. Time to do some bargaining perhaps and get the price you are comfortable with, otherwise walk away.

Frank
Old 6th May 2017, 7:16 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
There is no advised prices for old TV's, it's is what its worth to you.
Frank
Indeed!

So you have to consider your motive for wanting it, and how desperately you want it. You haven't given any clues.

Is this a model you have a nostalgic connection with... your family had one, or you spent x years of your life fixing tellies and this is the model you always wished you could afford for yourself? You had one and now regret letting it go?

Is it the missing model from your collection of every Philips TV ever made?

Those reasons might get someone to stump up some cash, but otherwise large TVs are seen as millstones. I have a Panasonic 32 inch 'Quintrix Acuity' on this forum in the wanted/sale area for FREE. No one has shown any interest. It's had very low usage, and has never been opened. Does it really have to go to the tip?

Good luck with the hunt.

David
Old 6th May 2017, 8:14 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think you you really wanted this item you would not ask if you should buy it, at any price.
Old 6th May 2017, 1:00 pm   #8
Paul Godley
Pentode

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Its really for nostalgic purposes, I remember fixing these many moons ago.
Not for financial gain either, more like financial loss!
It is the one seen as mentioned, but depends on what eventual price is agreed. Also an anomaly needs to be checked out.

Watch this space I guess...

Thanks Paul G
Old 7th May 2017, 5:20 pm   #9
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I presume all of the critical parts are OK (I.E CRT Lopt, coils ECT) and the cabinet/knobs are present and ok otherwise it would make restoration difficult, that would be my concern when it comes to buying a television.

Christopher Capener
Old 7th May 2017, 7:58 pm   #10
Paul Godley
Pentode

Yes all parts are present. All knobs and PCBs are there. Its has had a regun tube fitted at some stage, emission unknown. Also with stand.
It has not been powered up for some 20+ years.
First thing to do is to replace those Tuning caps before anything else!

Paul
Old 8th May 2017, 9:44 pm   #11
Paul Godley
Pentode

update on the G8. In the end I did not buy it!
The cabinet was in poor condition and it had a regun tube fitted many years ago. no Mullard there! it had been stood in a garage for over 20 years and the seller got a better offer of £130..
Old 8th May 2017, 9:57 pm   #12
1100 man
Octode

Good grief, £130 for a G8, what is the world coming to!! Even for a totally restored one in mint condition, I would consider that way too much, but for a non worker with poor cabinet? well really Not to mention the inevitable hernia you would get trying to lift a 26" one
A wise decision to walk away methinks!
Cheers Nick
Old 8th May 2017, 10:16 pm   #13
Paul Godley
Pentode

Yes, common sense prevailed!
Closed Thread