UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2018, 8:28 pm   #101
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: TV viewing behaviour.

In the late 1960's/70's I had a Murphy CTV2210D 22" colour TV. At the time I owned a golden Cocker Spaniel that was mesmerized by football. He would sit about three feet away intently watching the screen with tail wagging.

When the ball went off screen he would rush around the back looking for it! He did the same thing with the farmyard scenes in the Darling Buds of May.

Very happy memories of 'Rufus' and of course it was TV behavior! John.
Old 18th Sep 2018, 10:08 pm   #102
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Is that because you are both highly educated people?
I am secondary school educated and never made it to university because I got offered the chance to be paid to do what I loved, working with electronics. I didn't even have any actual electronics qualifications until I found time to do them years later, in my thirties.

I love BBC4 because I -find- it educational, although even to me it is noticeable how once-weighty programmes like Horizon gradually lowered the 'level' they aimed at over the years, perhaps because they felt that people either couldn't handle or didn't have the attention span for complicated stuff any more.

They might even have been right.
I also didn't make it to university thanks to my learning disabilities but managed 4 years at college.

BBC4 tends to have a lot of special interest programming, I really enjoy seeing the Top Of The Pops repeats & some of the other music shows.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:53 am   #103
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I mostly watch bbc2 & 4 & normally watch more channel 4 than itv
Is that because you are both highly educated people?
For those who didn't have the benefit of a wonderful education BBC4 fills in some gaps. (Speaks from experience.)

This always depends on an ongoing a thirst for knowledge or at least an amount of inquisitiveness. Members of this forum will fall into that category but many people just want to sit back and be entertained.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 12:21 pm   #104
Gulliver
Hexode

I guess I grew up in the era when TVs lasted an average of 15 years or so, and didn't have one with a remote until the 90s. It was usually my job to change the volume or channel when my parents so desired. I eventually took to using a six foot long narrow wooden pole!

I think the fact that it was less easy than having a remote does lead to less desire to channel hop. In the days before AFC (or maybe poor AFC) I remember dad twiddling with the tuning as the set got warmer. It would never be quite in tune the following day after a viewing session the evening before.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 12:37 pm   #105
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi All

My mother used to make us unplug the aerial if there was even the slightest rumble of thunder much to my annoyance.

One that i cant do anymore, but when i was a kid in the 80s i used to sit bleary eyed on Sunday mornings watching hours of the open university on BBC2 just because the other channels only had hours and hours of religious drivel on them until lunchtime.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 12:54 pm   #106
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The Open University programmes did much to foster the illusion that all lecturers were middle aged bearded white men wearing cardigans with football buttons!
Going back to tuning earlier TVs, I often wondered how people coped with rotary UHF tuners. The old turret tuners at least went clonk!
Colour arrived just behind the linked VHF/UHF press-button tuner, and I always felt the Baird 700 series was very outdated, requiring both critical tuning and a knowledge of the channel numbers. Then along came Sony and no-one complained - probably because the things never went wrong!
Many sets I serviced had a piece of paper stuck to the top with BBC1-51, ITV-41 and so on written on it.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 4:59 pm   #107
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I remember as children we always had to ask permission to turn the television on and we always had to switch it off and unplug the mains if there were any thunderstorms. We did not disconnect the aerial lead as we used loft aerials.
Our first colour tv was a brand new rented Pye CT205. Unfortunately we then lived in a poor signal area which the Pye 697 decoder did not like and often resulted in green faces. We would often find that my Gran use to turn the colour right down so we ended up with a very expensive black and white television.
Closed Thread