UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2011, 9:23 pm   #1
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default TS850 FM power output

Hi folks

I have just sold my TS850 and the buyer is complaining that although SSB output is around 100 watts he is only getting 25w on FM, to be perfectly honest I didn't even know that it had FM. Can anyone suggest why and what can be done about it.

Thanks

Peter
Old 12th Jun 2011, 10:02 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: TS850 FM power output

Hello Peter

Firstly, I’d be interested to know how accurately the power was measured on FM.
Secondly, the user guide spec seems a bit doubtful to me. This states:
100w max on SSB,CW & FM
40w max on AM
It seems to me that an FM transmission represents 100% duty cycle on the finals, so I’d expect it to be rated at 40w, as with AM.

Regards
Pete
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:16 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Hi Pete

Well I would have thought that, 100 watts of continious carrier is going to generate a lot of heat and use a lot of power, but the manual says that's what it is supposed to be. He was apparantly testing it by tuning up on FM and then switching to SSB, presumably the power meter was showing 25 watts FM and then 100 when switched to SSB.

Peter
Old 13th Jun 2011, 7:28 am   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, a few questions....

What is the buyer using for a power meter

What sort of load is he using

Is the power supply rated to supply the full load current

Is the auto ATU in use?

It is very odd to be able to acheive full output on SSB, and then low OP, on a continuous carrier mode.

Ask him to test it in CW as well.

HTH
Sean
Old 13th Jun 2011, 10:58 am   #5
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

AM is essentially 1/4 of CW power when no modulation as carrier has to sit at 1/2 voltage.

Sustained key down CW and FM power should be equal. FM doesn't need linear. It's CW with a wobble

SSB peak power can't really exceed CW/FM power, though on valve P.A. it may due to unregulated HT able to sustain speech peaks at higher power than FM or CW. SSB with a whistle or tuning tone is typically equal to CW or FM on transistor or valve PA.

Any rig using SSB mode and keying an audio tone for CW gives same max power on SSB, FM and CW. The advantage of SSB + tone for CW is less key click, often then there is an adjustable delay for TX to drop back to receive in space between dot/dash to allow "break in mode" operation.

If there is a mismatch the protection part of ALC loop will wind power back on CW key down and on FM. But if your speech peaks may be to fast for ALC / Protection circuit to detect.

On the TS850 there is a procedure where you can terminate in 100 Ohms instead of 50 Ohms and adjust the sensitivity of the protection circuit. Or Open circuit at low power. Certainly one TS850 I aligned was doing something like this on 50 Ohm dummy load! If you hold key down the power drops to FM level if this is the case, but on short dit dah you get full power as there is a time constant on the ALC and reverse SWR detector.

If it was fine before sale, then it's not misalignment but "normal" behaviour for these rigs when mis-matched. If power drops with a continuous whistle into Mic on SSB it confirms my theory (of either protection over sensitive or mismatch).
Old 13th Jun 2011, 5:58 pm   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I have never used FM so I don't know. I was just hoping that there is someone else on here that has a TS850 and can verify the FM output on their radio.

Peter
Old 14th Jun 2011, 8:34 am   #7
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

It's 100W on FM.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 12:22 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: TS850 FM power output

Seems to me that the appropriate reply to the buyer is quite simple.

Ask him to verify that he is getting 100W output on C.W. Then, without making any changes to his set-up - including his test & measurement equipment - ask him what power output he gets when he switches to F.M. The resultant power indication should be the same - if all is well.

Al.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 9:47 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Hi Al

That's what he said he was doing, 100w on side band and only 25 when switched to FM. I have now got the radio back so it will be for sale again. I wouldn't have thought that many people would have used FM, I certainly didn't.

Thanks for all you comments folks.

Peter

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 15th Jun 2011 at 12:37 pm. Reason: FRC - Section C.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 2:14 pm   #10
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Only on 10m repeater or illegal CB operation I'd think!
Old 15th Jun 2011, 3:35 pm   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: TS850 FM power output

Hi Peter,

When the buyer said that the power dropped between the two modes, what meter was he using? I certainly wouldn't rely on the meter in any rig when faced with such a disparity of this magnitude. And was this with the TX connected to a 50-ohm dummy load? Whenever I'm checking kit like this, I always connect it to a 'Bird Thru-Line' wattmeter and into a 500-watt 'Bird' 50-ohm dummy load. That way, I can rely on the measurement.

Hence, I simply have to ask: can you verify that the radio will indeed produce the specified 100-W output on FM? After all, you don't want to sell it (again) and have a repeat scenario!

Al.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 3:38 pm   #12
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I wouldn't have thought that many people would have used FM: I certainly didn't.
Peter
There is always the possibility of using it with a transverter to produce FM on a VHF / UHF band.

Al.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 3:55 pm   #13
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Had not thought of that, didn't think people did that sort of thing any more. Presumably you can use it on 28 mhz.

The only thing in support of his argument is that he says it delivers 40 watt on AM as specified and he has tried it on several different antennas with the same result. The FM output is not listed seperatly in the manual its just listed in the 100w output group of modes. If AM is only 40 watts I would have thought that FM would have been similar. It's now for sale again so we will see what prospective purchasers think.

Peter

Last edited by Station X; 15th Jun 2011 at 7:19 pm. Reason: FRC.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 4:23 pm   #14
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
The only thing in support of his argument is that he says it delivers 40 watt on AM as specified and he has tried it on several different antennas with the same result.
Peter
Call me a fastidious old purist if you will, but that method: using antennas for loads and presumably relying on the front panel meter to give a measure of RF output is not one that I would ascribe much value to, let alone go back to the vendor with the complaint that he has made on the basis of the measurements thus obtained. There are just too many undeterminable variables with that method.
Ask yourself this: what method would have been used in the factory, at final test, to verify the RF power output? Certainly not the method that your buyer was using.

Anyway, with regards to this particular item, it's all academic now. Good luck next time!

Al.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 5:43 pm   #15
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Your buyer is a blooming idiot!

You cannot check RF output into an flipping antenna....

Dear oh dear.....

Sean
Old 15th Jun 2011, 8:49 pm   #16
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

The AM is maybe about 40W is with "typical" audio drive. It's 25W no audio modulation at "full power" or it's not adjusted right.

CW, FM and SSB with Tone for full power will all be exactly same power unless something is wrong. FM power level is same on no audio and max audio level. SSB power level is 0 to 100W depending on drive.

I use a 100W dummy load and separate external home brew meter (calibrated on 10W, 100W and 1000W scales with a Bird meter) for test/measurement.
Closed Thread