UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2011, 10:10 am   #1
whitleyproject
Diode

Default WWII aircraft ammeter/voltmeter gauge ID

This came from a Whitley Mk VII crash site - looking carefully at the face I can make out traces of the scale and some numbers. There is a '3' in the middle, and what might be a '0' further to the left. There are also some numbers - I think it might even read '1940' or '1941' in the bottom left hand corner.

Can anyone come up with a stores ref number for this instrument please? I'd like to obtain one in good condition for comparison purposes... I'd also like to find out what piece of equipment it was fitted to.

I'm fairly sure it originates from wireless equipment, but being a Mk VII Whitley it would have been packed with exotic ASV equipment, much of which I am not familiar with.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...0/P1010299.jpg
Old 30th May 2011, 11:01 am   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: WWII aircraft ammeter/voltmeter gauge ID

As far as I can see (which isnt very far) it appears to be a standard Air Ministry meter, and could be of almost any type.

Most were 2" square black cases, and the scale might have been volts, amps, RF or almost any markings one can imagine. (Mag Feed was a common one).

They were usd in radios and many other pieces of electronics, plus as instruments on the aircraft itself.
I have, literally, dozens, so tying it down to a particular type is going to be difficult-impossible.
Old 30th May 2011, 9:32 pm   #3
whitleyproject
Diode

Thanks for looking Alan.

The gauge should be the larger variety with the round bakelite case - approx 3" across. The square cased ammeters/voltmeters are a bit smaller.

Here's a pic of the type of instrument i'm looking for. I am searching for one with the '3' on top of the scale and in the middle, to match mine. The position of the numbers seems to vary and i'm hoping someone will be able to give me a stores ref number.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...40/ammeter.jpg

Last edited by whitleyproject; 30th May 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old 30th May 2011, 9:41 pm   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I have some of that size as well, so will have a look and see what scales are on the ones I have.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:22 pm   #5
whitleyproject
Diode

Thanks Alan
Old 31st May 2011, 12:50 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

Whitleyproject,

Have you tried looking at your meter scaleplate under UV or infra-red light? Marks which are invisible within the visible spectrum might show up.

PMM.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 6:12 pm   #7
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I have now checked 40+ meters of that size and not one has the scale markings that give a "3" in the centre.

That might mean that it came off something that wasnt a popular unit for the amateur to buy. (Just a guess.)

Sorry not to be of more help.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 8:35 pm   #8
Gridiron
Heptode

Could the meter be the Aerial Current meter of one of the TR9 series of transceivers? This is a thermocouple type 0.5A F.S.D., 0.3 is about mid-scale, I had a look at the set I have and the stores ref no is 10A/7818. The markings on meter on my set don't have the 0 in front, i.e. just .3, etc.
Regards, Mike.
Closed Thread