UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 1st Feb 2014, 7:04 pm   #61
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Default Re: R4 198 Sibilance back?

My wife has just got a new car (to her) - an 07 plate Madza 2. We've been tuning the radio in and I was astounded by just how good the standard dash LCD displayed head unit is on both Long and Medium wave. A lot of stations including RTE1 on 252LW sound so good that you could quite easily listen all day instead of FM - It's just like the old days again...

NOT Radio 4LW though. I said to my wife on Thursday just how bad it's got again. Such a shame when all the French long wave, and the Irish are really clear and nearly FM quality on her head unit.

Trev
Old 5th Feb 2014, 1:36 am   #62
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Listening to R4 on 198Khz on my ITT/KB Tiny Super the audio quality seems to be good certainly an improvement on recent weeks.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 9:53 am   #63
Radio Wrangler

Just tuned into R4 LW...

I'm only a dozen or so miles from Wester Glen and the sibilance is obvious. I used an Icom IC765 with the crystal IF filter for AM fitted. It rolls off the higher audio components, so to hear sibilance implicates the transmission. Other stations were fine.

David
Old 5th Feb 2014, 10:31 am   #64
paulsherwin

If it's affecting Westerglen as well then it must be a distribution fault, as suspected previously.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2014, 12:12 pm   #65
PaulR
Dekatron

It did seem better last night.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2014, 5:24 pm   #66
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
If it's affecting Westerglen as well then it must be a distribution fault, as suspected previously.
Well at least this is encouraging. Its looking less likely to being a major transmitter or aerial problem at Droitwich. Surely it can't be that difficult to get a suitable broadcast quality link to the three Long wave transmitters.
It seems that some radios are coping rather better than others with this type of distortion. Some of the older radios rather better than the more modern offerings.
Old 6th Feb 2014, 3:52 pm   #67
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Re: R4 198 kHz. Sibilance back?

Difficult - reasonably; Expensive - very much so.

Transport stream delivery is in the hands of a third party, in this case BT. Service level agreements determine how fast and to what quality repairs are done, its no longer a case of just asking them to fix things.

The essential point however, is one that will often be overlooked by people like us - audience share. How many people now listen, regularly, to LW? The answer, in terms of a percentage of audience, is staggeringly low. Most people who listen to R4 do so on FM (myself included), with the next highest listenership being on DAB. You can also do so on satellite, Freeview or over the internet. Even those who used to go to LW for the cricket have realised this. So its hard to justify the immense expense of a LW service against very low usage figures. R4 hasnt been considered by Govmt as essential for a long time, and even the shipping forecast is a legacy put on for entertainment rather than essential service nowadays (because it has a huge popular following!)

The fact is the general public dont even notice the problems, or where they do, they have enough choice to not care

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Martin G7MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 4:15 pm   #68
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV View Post
Difficult - reasonably; Expensive - very much so.
It's not necessarily _that_ expensive - the big problem is that any major telco these days is only really interested in providing high-bandwidth dedicated point-to-point links - typically starting at 10Mbits/second - even if you only want a 128 or 256Kbit/sec throughput.

[Bandwidth is actually dirt-cheap these days: for the same amount of money I was paying for a 2Mbit/sec serial Megastream 10 years back I can now get Gigabit presented as a nice friendly Ethernet port]

I wonder what the actual distribution network is to the old LW transmitters? I really doubt it's still old-fashioned EPS25-type analog copper circuits.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 5:45 pm   #69

I would like to think that the transmiter itself would have an audio low pass filter before the modulator. If sibilance is happening after this it's the transmitters fault, can't see how all the LW ones have the same fault or is the sibilance being received from another?
Old 7th Feb 2014, 12:07 pm   #70
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV View Post
even the shipping forecast is a legacy put on for entertainment rather than essential service nowadays (because it has a huge popular following!)
As far as I know, the shipping forcast is only broadcast on longwave so, if it has a huge following, I'd expect longwave to be more important than it seems to be.

cheers

Aub
Old 7th Feb 2014, 12:14 pm   #71
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
It's not necessarily _that_ expensive - the big problem is that any major telco these days is only really interested in providing high-bandwidth dedicated point-to-point links - typically starting at 10Mbits/second - even if you only want a 128 or 256Kbit/sec throughput.
You may like to know that one of the reasons this issue does get resolved occasionally is because my team push for the resolution! You may also be interested to know that my team are fully aware of the current incidence and are trying to get it resolved. There's only so much I can say on an open forum though. Suffice to say we are aware of it and are trying to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
As far as I know, the shipping forcast is only broadcast on longwave so, if it has a huge following, I'd expect longwave to be more important than it seems to be.
I should of course have said huge in relative terms! Relative to other R4 programs!

I listen to the shipping forecast on R4 FM, on the built in receiver in my smartphone!

Old 7th Feb 2014, 12:17 pm   #72
Aub
Nonode

Thanks Martin. We should leave you alone to get on with it then.

Cheers

Aub
Old 7th Feb 2014, 7:03 pm   #73
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Ive done what I can, its in the hands of the team now. If it needs spares then it could well take a while!

Old 7th Feb 2014, 8:14 pm   #74
paulsherwin

It does make you wonder why so much money is spent on a national high powered LW transmitter network when nobody has responsibility for ensuring a clean feed to the transmitters. It would be better to feed the transmitters from the existing 'Radio 4 LW' AAC internet stream rather than the present arrangement, whatever that is.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2014, 10:19 pm   #75

Quote:
It would be better to feed the transmitters from the existing 'Radio 4 LW' AAC internet stream rather than the present arrangement, whatever that is.
Fine for 'ordinary' broadcasting but I thought R4 LW was one of the last line defence links, in that case a real wire link would make more sense (so would why all transmitters are affected).
Old 7th Feb 2014, 10:24 pm   #76
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It would be better to feed the transmitters from the existing 'Radio 4 LW' AAC internet stream rather than the present arrangement, whatever that is.
Or tune in a DAB radio and connect it in to the LW transmitter
...... I'll get my coat
Old 7th Feb 2014, 11:28 pm   #77
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Or how about using a satellite dish send/receive system? Just another thought.
Glowing Bits! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2014, 1:15 am   #78
Radio Wrangler

I think 'they' want R4 to continue to work as a back up communications system for the government to issue orders to the populace should WWIII break out, or flying saucers full of hungry lizards land in any number... just ask any conspiracy theorist.

Using DAB, FM or an internet feed would just takedown R4 if that feed fails.

David
Old 8th Feb 2014, 11:53 am   #79
Joe Ingle
Tetrode

I noticed the problem mentioned, reception was weak and distorted where I am (Edinburgh). Now seems to be booming out... Much better, as of around lunchtime on Friday 7th (yesterday).
Joe Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2014, 12:01 pm   #80
Radio Wrangler

I agree, the quality here is now OK again, and the signal strength is much better.

I wonder if Westerglen was off and I heard what they were getting 'down South' a few days ago?

Thanks,
David