UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2021, 1:48 pm   #1
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Nordmende Galaxy Mesa 7000 slider knob removal

Hi

I’ve got a lovely Nordmende Galaxy Mesa 7000 here that I’ve done a fair bit of work on. However it has issues with corrosion of the through holes on the main board. I’ve tried reflowing it in situ but it’s very difficult to acces to remove the old solder. I need to get the board out of the radio. The only way I can see to do this is to remove the knobs on the 3 sliders. The trouble is, despite using a fair bit of force, that they just won’t budge. I can’t lever them against the front as it’s perspex. If I use much more force then I’m sure they will snap off which would be disastrous. Does anyone know how they are fixed on and have any tips for removal. Here’s a link to one of the videos I made some time ago.

https://youtu.be/-Yuq7XxMKQ4

Thanks in advance

Graham
Old 26th Oct 2021, 4:23 pm   #2
Squipper
Pentode

Default Re: Nordmende Galaxy Mesa 7000 slider knob removal

Hi Graham.

The Mesa knobs for the sliders are probably glued in. See images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mesa1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	244293   Click image for larger version

Name:	mesa2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	244294  

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 26th Oct 2021, 4:42 pm   #3
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Thanks Paul

I think they will break if I use any more force on them. I could try some isopropyl to see if it would loosen it or maybe some acetone but I don’t think I can get behind them.

Regards

Graham
Old 26th Oct 2021, 8:32 pm   #4
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Those slider knobs are identical to those used on many of the F4 series colour TVs (eg, 26" Ambassador). None of those are glued on. I have two of the old sixpence Woolworth screwdrivers which I heated to red and bent the ends through 270 degrees. One either side of the knob and they should pull straight off no problem. I had a Galaxy mesa 2200 years ago, I probably removed slider knobs on that without problems. The only time they are glued on is when somebody has knocked them off (sideways?) and lost half the end. Then you need araldite, and it is permanent. OK, today I would probably use a hot glue gun.
Les.
P.S. Do NOT use acetone, the knobs will probably disintegrate.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 26th Oct 2021 at 8:33 pm. Reason: Added post script.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 10:17 pm   #5
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Thanks for all the info Les. I’ve really given them a lot of stick to try to get them off so someone may have glued them in the past. Good tip on the bent screwdrivers so I may give that a go. I hear what you are saying about the acetone. It was a last resort type of comment and probably won’t happen.
Closed Thread