UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2021, 10:31 pm   #41
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Default Re: Help needed with Dynatron RG11 Berkeley

I thought the decks in these were fitted with Tannoy variable reluctance cartridges. If yours has this then the Expert stylus company can rebuild it and supply a suitable stereo compatible stylus.
Bill
Old 30th Oct 2021, 9:24 am   #42
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ah that’s good to know I need to work out how the head comes off I can see some screws under the plug to loosen. I have a few new stylus I found in his desk including an old mono one so it might have been compatible already?? Did they do that back in the day? If so how do I tell?
Old 30th Oct 2021, 10:04 am   #43
B.Taylor
Tetrode

If it is the original deck (RC 88) the head shell just pulls off. Please post photo to confirm before forcing anything.

How do you know its mono? The styli for the Tannoy cartridge are just colour coded with dots of paint. Maybe you do not have this cartridge. Please post a photo of this too.

Bill
Old 30th Oct 2021, 1:23 pm   #44
HoverJohn
Pentode

I’ve got these 2 stylii too…..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26F40259-CE0E-44A1-A2E4-1AC1BB172357.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	244607   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6A555C5-F622-4748-B91F-30405996E96D.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	244608   Click image for larger version

Name:	02B0179E-C3D1-438E-A23C-1A94AB76D309.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	244609  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 1:39 pm   #45
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well this is the Tannoy Variable Reluctance ("Variluctance") Mono cartridge. Well regarded in its day. Just pull the head-shell off the tone arm. Now I see this, changing cartridge will not be so straightforward. This cartridge gives just 3.5mV output and fitting in a modern ceramic cartridge to replace it will dramatically overload the pre-amplifier stages of the Dynatron amplifier. Remember any 4 pin stereo cartridge fitted to this will need to have the RH and LH channels bridged on the cartridge itself as there are only 2 wires in the Garrard's tone arm.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 2:13 pm   #46
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Yes that's the original Tannoy cartridge.

The stylus tip dimension must suit the records you are playing to avoid damage.

78's require a tip approx 2.5 mil wide ( a mil being one thousand of an inch )
Mono records approx 1 mil and stereo records approx 0.6 mil

The stylus marked LP may be for stereo but not sure. Other members may be able to advise.

If you decide to send the cartridge to be repaired they can check the stylus for you.

The whole headshell complete with cartridge should just pull off from the tone arm
Old 30th Oct 2021, 3:04 pm   #47
thermalrunaway
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Taylor View Post
Yes that's the original Tannoy cartridge.

The stylus tip dimension must suit the records you are playing to avoid damage.

78's require a tip approx 2.5 mil wide ( a mil being one thousand of an inch )
Mono records approx 1 mil and stereo records approx 0.6 mil

The stylus marked LP may be for stereo but not sure. Other members may be able to advise.

If you decide to send the cartridge to be repaired they can check the stylus for you.

The whole headshell complete with cartridge should just pull off from the tone arm
Hi everyone,
unfortunately there is not enough vertical compliance in these for stereo, and the tip mass is quite high. Great little cartridge for 78s though. The output is much lower than a ceramic/crystal. You should be able to substitute an MM cartridge with the coils connected in series.
Rob.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 3:18 pm   #48
thermalrunaway
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Well this is the Tannoy Variable Reluctance ("Variluctance") Mono cartridge. Well regarded in its day. Just pull the head-shell off the tone arm. Now I see this, changing cartridge will not be so straightforward. This cartridge gives just 3.5mV output and fitting in a modern ceramic cartridge to replace it will dramatically overload the pre-amplifier stages of the Dynatron amplifier. Remember any 4 pin stereo cartridge fitted to this will need to have the RH and LH channels bridged on the cartridge itself as there are only 2 wires in the Garrard's tone arm.
Hi,
the Tannoy cartridge has the same 1/2" mount and 3/8" overhang as a modern MM cartridge. It outputs 10mV on LPs and 20mV on 78s. It tracks at 4g and the load is 47k. It is a licensed copy of the GE VR from America, which set the industry standard that persists to this day.
Rob.
Old 1st Nov 2021, 10:45 am   #49
HoverJohn
Pentode

So industrial standards of modern gram pickups were based in this unit - half a chance what I ordered will fit. Do I need to place a resistor in the circuit to protect the input valve if a modern cartridge is “stronger” than the tannoy variluctance unit?
Old 1st Nov 2021, 1:57 pm   #50
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We are still not sure what replacement cartridge you have now ordered?
If it is a Moving Magnet cartrridge such as a later version of the low-cost AT91, all should be well. But if it is a Ceramic stereo cartridge, then it will need careful attenuation by using a frequency compensating circuit and this will more than just a single series resistor.
Old 1st Nov 2021, 10:14 pm   #51
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ok here it is - just a cheap something to try… although it’s 200-300mv so could be too much.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-Ca...-127635-2958-0
I prepare for you judgement on my foolish purchase…..

However could it be that the original pickup didn’t provide enough output for the amp I texted it on??

Last edited by HoverJohn; 1st Nov 2021 at 10:24 pm.
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 8:50 am   #52
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's not really a "foolish purchase as the cartridge you have ordered can really give a surprisngly good sound. The issue is to now ensure a correct matching to the Dynatron's gram input stage.
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 10:42 am   #53
Herald1360
Dekatron

You may not be as badly off with your ceramic cartridge as you think..... its recommended load will be in the Megohm region. The 47k load for the Tannoy original should do a reasonable job of selectively attenuating the ceramic output to something not a million miles away from the Variluctance's level. If not, a few Rs and Cs would probably sort it.

A discussion of this very issue is here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=300251

Also see attached:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ceramic Pickup Equalisation (1).pdf (3.10 MB, 39 views)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 3:49 pm   #54
HoverJohn
Pentode

Cool I’m gonna read that later. I wonder if I can mount it and leave the variluctance selector mounted with a “hockey leg” to flip the needle… although it’s a lot of weight.
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 5:20 pm   #55
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No, regret not. The stylus in the ceramic cartridge "flips" over and the cartridge remains fixed in-situ, whereas with the Tannoy, the whole cartridge, with its 2 styli, "turns" over.
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 10:35 pm   #56
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ok I read all that and some of it tally’s with my engineering knowledge but some of it is all foreign to me! Here’s my wiring diagram as that may help, also how does the suggestion of placing the 2 stereo output in series instead of parallel?? Would that make the output voltages higher or would the increased impedance help??

JB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	650654B8-91C6-43C2-AD75-D6EA00808A99.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	244881  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 10:28 pm   #57
HoverJohn
Pentode

So today my cheap megger arrived - it seems to make the voltages claimed (albeit polarity reversed !) and correctly identified the 10M resistance in my multimeter. I’ve started testing caps at 250v (they run at 75 but rated at 450) and some of the hunts ones are in the 8Mohms region but one of the big smoothing caps is 1.1meg at 250 but only 156k at 300v (I assumed it was dodgy so tried 500v but the limited current of the megger shows it breaking at 300v) the paper waxy thing is down at 100k so as predicted by you guys it’s dead.

Glad I hooked up the volt meter as the caps take a while to dissipate!!

So what is acceptable resistance? Also the big one that broke down at 300v seemed to be reforming at 250 as the resistance was increasing? (Operates at 185v ) is that an acceptable position on a power smoothing cap?

Advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	393B5D9B-5CFA-497D-A396-79E4C706CD18.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	244957   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D38B489-4936-4142-B4A7-ADE3F0AEC35B.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	244958  
Old 6th Nov 2021, 9:09 am   #58
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ok so I’m reasonably set to start changing the dead bits one by one but I’m still not sure how to match the new ceramic pickup to the amp? …
Old 6th Nov 2021, 11:50 am   #59
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Re-read the advice already offered as to ceramic cartridge matiching. Have you installed the new cartridge yet? Do check its tracking angle as advised. If it is oveloading the ampifier you will hear early-onset distortion. Also if the impedence matching is not as it needs to be, the sound will be thin with liitle bass.
Old 6th Nov 2021, 3:55 pm   #60
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ok I will read again - I just didn’t understand all of it. Is it lazy to consider a 0-500meg log variable resistor for this or will it pick up too much noise? It’s not installed yet - I have a long way to go before that as I haven’t started the pre amp and power amp yet, I just like to plan ahead and I’m not great with things I don’t understand.

Although I did get the head shell off and the old pickup removed it was all very corroded.
Closed Thread