UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2008, 1:14 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Philips PM 5509 I /06 TV PAL Pattern Generator

Hi all

Just rescued one of these from the scrap pile. Problem is it doesn't work properly which is why it was being thrown away.

Certain functions of it work but mainly the colour bars are incorrect. The most obvious symptom though is that the regulator on the topmost PCB is getting very hot...and I mean hot. The area of PCB to which the regulator is bolted is charred to a deep brown and the heat sink is too hot to touch. It will actually burn you if you leave your finger on it for more than a few nano-seconds. Hence, I didn't leave it on long enough to fully investigate which functions work and which don't.

The questions are:

1) Is this a common fault on these and if so what is the cure.
2) Do any forum members have experience of repairing these.
3) Does anyone have the manual for this unit.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. I don't have any great experience of repairing test equipment. It contains a whole bunch of TTL type chips. I have been told that the +5V rail de-couplers associated with these TTL chip populated PCBs are prone to going leaky and causing this type of problem. Alternatively, there are a number of largish smoothing capacitors on the PCB next to the regulators and one of these may be leaky.

As I say, any pointers would be appreciated.

timR
Old 4th Nov 2008, 1:27 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Philips PM 5509 I /06 TV PAL Pattern Generator

Leaky de-couplers is the most likely problem. The 5V supply is fairly heavily loaded if I recall correctly. I don't know if I have a manual for this but I'll have a look when I get home this evening.

Regards,
Old 4th Nov 2008, 1:31 pm   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

Hi Tim

As a quick check measure the supply on the TTL ICs usually pin 7 = 0v & pin 14 = 5v (14 pin devices) or pin 8 = 0v & pin 16 = 5v on 16 pin devices. This should be between 4.75v & 5.25v. I suspect from what you have said that it will be low due to either a faulty decoupling cap or a faulty IC.

Keith
Old 4th Nov 2008, 5:24 pm   #4
Studio263
Octode

My one of these had a fair few faults, all of which were down to the smallest type of electrolytic capacitor that you find in there. Change the lot before getting too involved.
Old 4th Nov 2008, 11:00 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Hello Tim,

I only have the manual for the 5506 / 5508. I think that they may be similar and if you send me your E-mail address in a PM I will gladly send it to you.

Having said that I think that if you change the capacitors as suggested here you will probably get it to work.

Regards,
Old 5th Nov 2008, 12:49 pm   #6
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Brian

Thanks to you and the other chaps for your replies. What I'll do is check the voltage and loading of the +5v regulator. If it is, as suspected, being excessively loaded I'll load shed until I narrow down the cause and correct it.

I'll then see if the unit works properly. If so I'll renew the overloaded regulator in the interests of future reliability and put in unit into use. If not, I'll get back to you Brian if I may and borrow your manual and delve deeper.

TimR