UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2008, 12:37 pm   #1
DiachiLaser
Retired Dormant Member

Default Thurlby PL320 Single PSU.

Hello,

I am new here, I have a Thurlby PL320 Single PSU.

It looks like this.

I would like to know what it means when the current limit dial has flashing dots on it, it seems to only do it when the current gets to a certain level, which varies depending on how long the PSU has been on. It's usually between 2A and 2.3A this happens, It still permits the current to go higher .

Many thanks,

-Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d73_tti_front.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	20463  
Old 11th Oct 2008, 3:00 pm   #2
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Thurlby PL320 Single PSU.

The PSU pictured is a dual PSU, so I guess that you only have half of it. The PL320 has a maximum current output of 2.2 amps before it goes into current limit and the dots flash on the display. It sounds as if your PSU is doing what it should. If you have the dual model like your picture, then you can parallel the two halves and get twice the current, or series the two to get up to about 62 volts. Yours might need setting up.

Ian
Old 13th Oct 2008, 6:13 pm   #3
Vicboduk
Hexode

Default Re: Thurlby PL320 Single PSU.

Welcome to the forum Adam, the way these usually work - when the output switch is off, the displays will show the set voltage and set current limit. When you switch the output on - the actual voltage and current drawn will be displayed. If you don't intend to use remote sensing then you MUST link the sense and output terminals together (as shown in the picture). If the PSU is working correctly the voltage should remain constant until you draw a current in excess of your set limit, then you should then see the voltage decrease and the dots of the current display flash but the current should go no higher than your setting.
If this isn't happening something is wrong!
Vic

Last edited by Vicboduk; 13th Oct 2008 at 6:25 pm.
Closed Thread