UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2018, 11:42 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Cartridge used in BSR UA6?

The UA6 in question is from a Westminster Radiogram, and the(almost certainly faulty) mono crystal cartridge fitted appears to be an Acos turnover type. Fortunately it's mounted in a standard bracket with 0.5" centers, and the P.U. Head is quite wide, so almost any cartridge will fit, but I don't know what the output of the original was. Can anyone confirm that the cartridge is, in fact, an Acos, and tell me what it's output would have been? No model number on the P.U. I'm afraid, just a logo and 'Made in England'
Old 18th Mar 2018, 12:20 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Cartridge used in BSR UA6?

A picture would help. It may not be the original and even if it is, different cartridges might be fitted by different radiogram manufacturers.
Old 18th Mar 2018, 1:11 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Typically the BSR UA6 would be fitted with an Acos "Hi G" turnover crystal cartridge.
The type number HGP 37(or 9)-1 comes to mind. Given it would have been feeding a 2 stage Radiogram amplifier, it's output would have been around 400mV.
Old 18th Mar 2018, 2:44 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

You're probably right, Edward. I'll take and post a picture later. As I noted, there's no model No. visible. There is a matching/attenuating network in series with the cartridge, but I haven't sketched out the circuit of that.
Old 18th Mar 2018, 4:42 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The R/C network might have been to tame the output of the Acos cartridge to a more manageable 250mV for the 1st AF stage - maybe an EBC41.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 6:38 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The 1st. A.F. stage, like all the valves in the radiogram (except the 'magic-eye', which is Octal) is a B9A valve-an EABC80 is the detector/1st. A.F. amp., followed by an EL84, but , that aside, Edward, you are correct.
Closed Thread