UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:34 am   #101
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Corner View Post
Perfect waiting place!
A local Morrisons supermarket has a bar instore. I'd expect it to catch on. They're big enough to give the online retailers (they're one themselves) a run for their money, or should that be our money. As HKS says, the high street will sadly be a stark place in the future.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 7:59 am   #102
chriswood1900
Octode

The bar is a common sight in US shopping malls to park the husband whilst shopping usually referred to as sports bar. I rely on the the increasingly rare hifi, TV and Maplins what will be left to do!
Back on topic, the recent poor stock levels frequently out of even the simplest parts is symptomatic of a business in poor shape. If they could ever get their online operation to work properly with a smaller number of stores in key locations they might be viable. However, as I said in an earlier post they are in a bind with too many expensive sites, a restructure via administration is probably the only way to survive as a brand. Just waiting for the fire sale.
Chris
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 9:01 am   #103
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Maplin did get me out of a hole recently when I needed two XLR-jack adaptors right quick on a gig - for £16 a throw, but still...

Maplin in general, though, is a sorry sight and experience now. I agree with Mr Bungle about RS online, who are pretty efficient and deal with problems in a straightforward way.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 9:31 am   #104
chriswood1900
Octode

I now rely mainly on RS, they give me superb service anything in stock ordered before 8pm is delivered the next morning to my door by 8am Tue-Friday I can't think of anyone better than that. So when my repair or project needs that next bit its ready for the next morning and I find they are hardly ever out of stock or have a good substitute.
Chris
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 10:34 am   #105
Dai Corner
Hexode

I do wonder whether an electronics version of Toolstation, Screwfix or Euro Car Parts with outlets in industrial estates would have been more viable than the High Street / retail park Maplin model.

Several people have praised RS. I'm going to give them a try.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 10:40 am   #106
linescan87
Heptode

There are a handful of Maplins in Ireland with two in Dublin, one in blanchardstown and one in the north of the city.

I regularly go into the one in the city whilst walking around on my break from work. They recently revamped the store but I've known something has been wrong for a while because there's less stock every time, just more little signs saying "I'll be restocked soon" or some such.

They are also way over staffed, counted 12 in there one day. Alas the only thing I buy there is the odd can of servisol.

John Joe.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 10:43 am   #107
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
I do wonder whether an electronics version of Toolstation, Screwfix or Euro Car Parts with outlets in industrial estates would have been more viable than the High Street / retail park Maplin model.

Already exists! https://uk.rs-online.com/web/general...branch-network

They don't stock the full line but if you're out on a job or something then you can get your stuff delivered to a trade counter next day and pick it up so you don't miss ParcelForce.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 11:24 am   #108
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
I now rely mainly on RS, they give me superb service anything in stock ordered before 8pm is delivered the next morning to my door by 8am Tue-Friday I can't think of anyone better than that. So when my repair or project needs that next bit its ready for the next morning and I find they are hardly ever out of stock or have a good substitute.
Chris
They have been doing pretty much just that for the Radio and TV trade since the thirties - better range of bits now of course.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:16 pm   #109
Dai Corner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Already exists! https://uk.rs-online.com/web/general...branch-network

They don't stock the full line but if you're out on a job or something then you can get your stuff delivered to a trade counter next day and pick it up so you don't miss ParcelForce.
Not nearly as many branches as Toolstation etc, but useful if you are near one.

Just placed an RS order for delivery to home tomorrow. Is delivery always before 8am as Chriswood1900 reports or is he lucky in being one of the first on the courier's round?
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:33 pm   #110
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage
And what about the incandescent lamps marked "240 volts AC only" I wonder what would happen if I connected one to DC !
This may relate to arc suppression when the filament fails. Much harder to stop a DC arc.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:48 pm   #111
sortedradio
Heptode

Quote:
Just placed an RS order for delivery to home tomorrow. Is delivery always before 8am as Chriswood1900 reports or is he lucky in being one of the first on the courier's round?
It can be anytime next day depending on the courier's round.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:58 pm   #112
chriswood1900
Octode

Dai
I think up lucky at being near the Parcel Force depot and near the beginning of the round, but, I'm sure others probably could comment but I expect most people will get theirs by early PM at the latest.
Chris
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 1:12 pm   #113
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Another vote from me. Superb service and surprisingly low prices. Next day delivery provided you don't order at the death.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 1:44 pm   #114
PsychMan
Octode

In addition to my other order I placed one yesterday around 5pm. That and the other one arrived just before midday today and will be waiting for me when I get home. Only criticism is I couldn’t find BNC sockets for my loop antenna, just some adaptors, I can live with that
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 2:16 pm   #115
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I went past a Maplin's last night, after they'd closed, and one of the windows was completely empty.

My problem with RS is that they only sell in big quantities, at least on the lines I've looked at. Most of my bits come from AliExpress or e-Bay but if I want something from this country I use CPC.

I've looked at Tayda but they have a $5 minimum order and given how cheap they are it's difficult to get that much, not helped by them not having everything I've looked for.

Even if Maplin's were as good as in the past I wouldn't use the shops as £4 in 'bus fare is more than most places charge in postage and there's no risk of a wasted journey due to them being out-of-stock. This, of course, applies to most shopping.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 3:44 pm   #116
PsychMan
Octode

You can get a lot of stuff in 10s or 25s, which might be more than you want, but then at the prices you get them for I'm thinking its better to build up stock now for future projects
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 3:50 pm   #117
Panrock
Nonode

The staff at my local Maplin shop in Cheltenham have always been friendly, attentive, and reasonably knowledgeable. Parking is only a short walk away. They've been useful when I need the occasional thing the same day. But I always check the stock level for the items in the branch on their web site, before setting off.

I have had an account with RS for over 30 years. More often than not, my orders arrive from different depots in separate packages and, with rare exceptions, Parcelforce delivers them almost too early for me... the next day between 7.30 and 8.00 am. The sheer convenience of dealing with RS means I am not as careful as perhaps I should be to shop around for the best price.

Steve
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 5:03 pm   #118
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I find I can get most of what I want that Maplin could at one time have supplied, (and in some case, still can, but not from the shops in any quantity), much cheaper from ESR Electronics, Bowood and Spiratronics. As a case in point, I've just ordered some skirted knobs from ESR Electronics. 71P inc VAT. Maplin have the same knobs (but not of course in stock in the local store), at £1.69p each. ESR weren't just cheaper than Maplins, they were cheaper than on e-bay.

The service from ESR is always so slick that it's quicker by phone than online.

I've just rung them - the phone was answered in as couple of rings, as always by a most pleasant and efficient chap. Quoted the stock numbers - I needed five of one type, ten of another. All in stock and off in the post today. P&P for orders up to £50 is £3.50 - cheaper than petrol and parking to go into town to Maplin even if they had them, which they don't.

Total cost from ESR inc P&P & VAT was £14.85. From Maplin, it would have been £25.35. (free post over £10.00).

Bowood are excellent for log/lin, switched/unswitched pots (for DAC90As etc), the only downside being that their online catalogue isn't illustrated, so you're not quite sure of the style of items that they stock. The nice thing about small firms such as Bowood, is that if you ring up, you're not talking to a member of staff, you're talking to the proprietor Wilf, or his wife. (Same with Tony Nailor at Spectrum Communications).

If ESR/Bowood/Spiratronics don't have what I need, I use CPC/Farnell, RS and sometimes Rapid or Cricklewood.

When in London visiting our elder son and his family, I do like browsing in the large Maplin store in Kingston on Thames while my wife is in John Lewis, so I'll miss that, but I'm housetrained and no trouble, so my wife will just have to park me on a chair in quiet corner of John Lewis.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 6:17 pm   #119
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
ESR Electronics
For anyone in the local (Tyneside) area who hasn't yet visited ESR in Cullercoats, the shop (straight out of the front entrance of Cullercoats Metro and about 200yds down on the right hand side) is very reminiscent of the now long closed Aitken Brothers which used to be in High Bridge, Newcastle. The same glass topped counters with compartmented trays full of connectors, etc, underneath, the same rows and rows of wall mounted drawers with small components (transistors, ICs, and so on). And, like Aitkens, your parts are (or certainly used to be) served in little white paper bags with the price added up in biro and scribbled on the bag.

Unfortunately their weekday working hours are about the same as mine and I am rarely in the area at the weekend, so I can't use them nearly as much as I should. But I would urge anyone who can to support them, as we'll need independent shops like ESR more than ever following this Maplin disaster.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 7:36 pm   #120
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

It's sad, but unremarkable.

The company has struggled to compete with low-cost component availability online, for several years now. I notice that one of the flagship branches in central London completely stopped stocking anty electronic components a while ago, and moved more to consumer electronics, but without any obvious USP in price or quality.

To put this in context, I went online and looked up a Chinese factory. It advertised on its website its wholesale prices, but I was surprised that these were in quantities as low as 100 off. The dollar equivalent price for bluetooth headphones was $4 for an item that would cost over £40 in a store like Maplins. I also saw semiconductors for low tens of US cents each, that would cost in some cases well over 15 times per unit more when Maplin were still selling these sorts of things. That takes some beating, with so much online distribution available.