UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2010, 6:14 pm   #1
jim_jobe
Heptode

Default 5y3/5z4

These have virtually identical specs and are interchangeable so why does the 5Z4 have separate cathodes? What's the advantage?
Jim
Old 26th Oct 2010, 6:24 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: 5y3/5z4

The 5Y3 is a filament valve, the filament is in effect the cathode, they warm up virtually instantaneously thus charging the smoother very quickly and increasing surges.
The 5Z4 is an indirectly heated cathode valve and has the advantage of a longer warm up time, in a radio etc the other valves will be ready to conduct at the same time as the HT is available after switch on this is much easier on the smoothers with little or no surge.
Old 26th Oct 2010, 7:02 pm   #3
G4XWDJim
Octode

I often wonder about the life of the electrolytics when operated under these two different sets of conditions.

When the other valves are cold and not conducting does the 5Y3 or a silicon rectifier exercise the cap through its range of voltage and benefit it, providing it doesn't exceed it maximum, or will the cap have a longer life when its voltage comes up slowly and doesn't reach its maximum, as if with a 5Z4 or other rectifier with a cathode.

When reforming an electrolytic you try to get it up to its full rated voltage, so, in actual operation in the case above could that be what the 5Y3 is doing and benefitting it.

Jim
Old 26th Oct 2010, 8:02 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

Jim.
Look at it this way, most AC sets with an AZ31, 5Y3, or AC/DC sets with selenium, or silicon rectifiers will have had one or two sets of smoothers in their lifetime (I changed hundreds in the 70's) but those fed from a 5Z4 or a GZ32 etc were often are on their originals.
A set that has been off for many years may suffer cap failure any way due to being idle no matter what rectifier is used.
Old 26th Oct 2010, 9:13 pm   #5
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

A rectifier with two independent diodes can be used in a voltage doubling circuit.
John.
Old 27th Oct 2010, 8:49 am   #6
ricard
Octode

True, but the 5Z4 doesn't have separate cathodes; they are connected together (mechanically they could be one, although the 5Y3 has internally separate diodes, unlike valves like the EZ80 which have one long cathode with two anodes after each other; I don't know what the 5Z4 looks like internally), and one side of the filament is also connected to the cathode, thus the cathode are not insulated from the filament as in most indirectly heated valves.

On the other hand, this means that the 5Z4 is pin compatible with the 5Y3. I wonder if that was the intention?

/Ricard
Old 27th Oct 2010, 9:34 am   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
I don't know what the 5Z4 looks like internally
It looks like this http://r-type.org/exhib/aaa0094.htm

Cheers,

GJ
Old 27th Oct 2010, 10:46 am   #8
ricard
Octode

I did check the National Valve Museum but stopped looking when I came to the metal-enveloped 5Z4 version ... should have looked further ... thanks for the link. Looks like internally it is made up of two separate diodes then, like the 5Y3.

/Ricard
Old 27th Oct 2010, 11:05 am   #9
jim_jobe
Heptode

Thanks Trevor et al for your very clear explanations. I'll remember not to sub a 5Y3 in future now!
Jim
Old 27th Oct 2010, 12:19 pm   #10
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Pretty well all international octal valves of a given type had the same pin out's, so you could fit all sorts of 'inappropriate' valves and they would work - after a style. This 'standardisation' proved very helpful in servicing.

Peter
Old 27th Oct 2010, 1:55 pm   #11
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Looks like internally it is made up of two separate diodes then, like the 5Y3.
Two separate electrode assemblies, yes. But the cathodes are wired together inside the envelope. They both come out on the same pin - no 8.

Cheers,

GJ
Closed Thread