UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2016, 11:22 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default Avometer 8 MK5

Hello,

I have recently added to my collection of multimeters, a MK5 Avo 8. It has seen better days, but it does function, although not entirely accurate, it's not entirely bad either.

I put it through its functions against my Fluke 179 on the bench and accuracy was a little out here and there. I ought to maybe do this test again and plot the results.

So, if I was to give this a good service/overhaul to get this back into calibration, what would I need to do with it?

My background is electrical/electronic, but I'm not afraid to ask questions (I've never opened an Avo let alone worked inside of one), especially as I want to be as nice and kind as possible to this 1973 meter!

Thanks.
Old 6th May 2016, 8:05 am   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: Avometer 8 MK5

That is a good meter normally - lots of Forum members like the '8', although if it is one of the last models with the PCB within, they don't appear to be as robust as the normal ones (in my mind).

SEAN
Old 6th May 2016, 8:39 am   #3
Mooly
Octode

Post #5 shows my 8mk5 vs two digital meters:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...44&postcount=5
Old 6th May 2016, 8:51 am   #4
jez_145
Pentode

Sinewave,

Have you tried searching this forum for info on the 8 Mk V ? If not, give it a go. There's LOADS of discussion on this model and just about all the other AVO meters for that matter. It was a lot of help to me when I repaired my instruments.

Jerry
Old 6th May 2016, 11:05 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

Thanks everyone. I did some searching, and perhaps I could look at the shunt circuit.
What is strange, is that if I use the excellent batteries from my MK7, the slightly better ranges in the MK5 worsen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Post #5 shows my 8mk5 vs two digital meters
Thanks for that one. Mine is wildly out of that.
What I should do is test mine again and make a graph.
Old 8th May 2016, 11:38 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

Sinewave,

Do you have the manufacturer's specification for the Model 8 Mark V?

A good example of this model will be within the specification by a good margin.

PMM
Old 9th May 2016, 6:50 pm   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Hi there.

I checked against the specification and it's considerably out of that. It's quite apparent when looking at the scale. I've not got much left to turn on the zero pots for the resistance range either. One of them was almost full clockwise.
Old 4th Jun 2016, 12:55 am   #8
Sinewave
Octode

Hello all.

I've just picked up another MK5, mostly working, a little out slightly on ohm ranges, but the worst range is the 1amp DC range, it wasn't working at all and then all of a sudden, it's working, but the reading fluctuates and is very intermittent.

What would cause this do you think?

Thanks.
Closed Thread