UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2005, 8:15 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Dekatron Counting Board Identification

OK, another long-shot from Sam...

I have got back to Uni and found my Dekatron Boards I bought on eBay. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any info on them.

They are plug-in printec-circuit boards, approximately 135mm x 68mm. The Dekatron is a GC10/4B / CV1739, and there is also a 12AT7 / CV4024 mounted on the board, along with a few resistors and capacitors (Hunts have gotten here too! grr ).

On the top there is the legend 'I.D.L. DRG. No. 03380/1' printed in white, and on the bottom 'TYPE 1701/A' written in copper lettering. There are 12 terminals/contacts on the bottom.

So then, any hints?! Don't expect many, if I am honest!

Sam
Old 24th Apr 2005, 2:52 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Dekatron Counting Board Identification

The GC10 decatron just needs a kick to advance one digit (represented as a dot around the viewing area). If you do a bit of googling you'll find circuits to build 'spinners' using these valves which take a triggering pulse from the normal 50Hz supply.

I'm thinking of building an EM34 replacement using these things. The idea is to use a VCO chip to generate the pulses, so as the AGC voltage changes the rate of spinning changes.

Best regards, Paul
Old 24th Apr 2005, 4:08 pm   #3
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
The GC10 decatron just needs a kick to advance one digit (represented as a dot around the viewing area). If you do a bit of googling you'll find circuits to build 'spinners' using these valves which take a triggering pulse from the normal 50Hz supply.

I'm thinking of building an EM34 replacement using these things. The idea is to use a VCO chip to generate the pulses, so as the AGC voltage changes the rate of spinning changes.

Best regards, Paul
I have a circuit about somewhere in a book I got out of the Uni library which has the driving circuits. I keep meaning to do this, but never quite get round to it. All it needs is a couple of caps to get a phase shift between the A and B guides, and a few resistors.

The Magic Eye replacement idea souds interesting! Let us all know the outcome.

Sam
Old 1st May 2005, 10:02 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Sam,

I picked up a book at the NVCF today:

Digital Pulse Waveforms, Milman and Straub, 1956

which covers Dekatrons, ring counters, bistables, astables and monostables, as well as computer logic circuits, all with valves!

It is about 700 pages, so it will take me a while to sift out the relavent parts, and then I may have some useful info for you.

Jim.

PS, don't bother with the 1963 version, it had gone solid state!
Old 1st May 2005, 10:10 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_beacon
Sam,

I picked up a book at the NVCF today:

Digital Pulse Waveforms, Milman and Straub, 1956

which covers Dekatrons, ring counters, bistables, astables and monostables, as well as computer logic circuits, all with valves!

It is about 700 pages, so it will take me a while to sift out the relavent parts, and then I may have some useful info for you.

Jim.

PS, don't bother with the 1963 version, it had gone solid state!
I'll keep a look put for a copy of that. It sounds fun!

Once the exams are out the way, I might have to have a play and see if I can make a few of the things I have here light up.

Sam
Old 17th May 2005, 9:57 pm   #6
Sam
Hexode

Well, in between revision I have been trying to trace out the circuit for the board. Hard to believe it is what I am doing to keep me sane at the moment! (It's better than Signal Processing and Management revision though )

Anyway, I think the Dekatron counting arrangement is fed from a trigger circuit. This seems plausable, as the trigger will respond to an impulse, and the trigger will then pass a pulse of a fixed voltage to the Dekatron. An output of the Dekatron can then be fed into another board, so 10s, 100s, 1,000s, etc, can be counted. I have been trying to identify the trigger circuit from one of my books. It looks like a Schmitt trigger circuit, but it seems to have too many resistors in it! I assume these are likely to be potentiometer biasing resistances. If anyone wants it, I can try and put the circuit into a neater form, and scan it.

I have found myself a copy of the book than Jim recommended, so I may be able to perform a better identification soon - when I am not revising, of course!

Any thoughts on my little deductions are more than welcome!

Sam
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 10:54 pm   #7
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Some schools still use geiger counter / counter scalers using dekatrons, made by either Philip Harris or Griffin & George. We repair them occasionally, the last one needed a new mains tx which we manufactured. I've got the schematics somewhere.
Closed Thread