UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2017, 12:46 am   #81
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson Videostar and Fisher Studio Standard collector

Synon I have a brand new capstan motor just incase, love working on these machines.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 8:39 pm   #82
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Nice picture on both now after changing the video board on the 3V35.
Had to break the ITT clone for the board but it was an ugly machine anyway.
Salvaged the capstan motor which is in really good nick, the heads, and deck mechanism motor. Other parts I kept were the tape carriage and bulb. You just never know.

Good bright displays on these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8154.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	136314  
Old 28th Jan 2017, 12:15 am   #83
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Fitted the flap and cover on the 3v35, also modified a 7pin din cable to allow the stereo output to be connected to the tv. According to the instruction manual a lead was provided when new.

It's puzzling as to why the 3V36 was the only linear stereo version made, the 3V38 and facelift 3V39 ( both identical internally to the 3V35 mono vcr) were released later. Maybe back then most TV sets were mono and no one was willing to pay the extra for the stereo option.

The sound quality is pretty decent for linear, even turned up high on the soundbar it was comfortable without the noise reduction switched on.

As far as I can tell there are no other pictures on the internet of a Ferguson 3V36 nor of the 3V36 with a 3V35.

One last pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8214.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	136600  
Old 28th Jan 2017, 3:36 am   #84
John123
Heptode

Yes I think that stereo VHS would've been a bit of a novelty back then (pre-NICAM). Ferguson did have a line of matching stereo 'Supersound' TV's (TX9/ TX10 etc) to go with their stereo-capable VCR's, but naturally they had mono tuners.

I can only guess as to how many were sold (or rented) together AND correctly installed to give stereo playback!
Old 28th Jan 2017, 4:27 am   #85
tony brady
Hexode

the 3V31 & 3V32 were stereo with dolby but were at the higher end of the market. Mono were obviously cheaper to make
Old 29th Jan 2017, 3:48 pm   #86
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Our family's first VCR was a 3V38, bought new for £400 in 1984 from the local TV shop. An earlier problem with this range of models was the cassette flap doors jumping out of timing and jamming the cassette inside. The flaps were later modified with longer cogs on the ends that overcame the problem.

Another common problem with the 3V35/36/38/39s and clones is wear on the tape face of the lower drum. What happens is when a tape is put into review search near the beginning, the excess friction causes the top edge of the tape to ride up against the top edge of the Video head supply guide causing creasing to the top edge of the tape.
Old 11th Feb 2019, 2:57 am   #87
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Fisher studio standard vcrs

Continuing from my other thread that's now closed, as its been a while since I last fiddled with these.

Have some new additions.

FVH-P725 x2 one gold one black. Both from Germany but are pal models, compatible over here.

FVH-P906 and FVH-P910 both works in progress.

Pics of them all together.

If admin approves can this be added to my previous thread? And reopened. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190211_012508.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	178207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190211_001500.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	178208  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:08 am   #88
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Having a bit of difficulty with my second ferguson 3v36. It plays fine albeit at approx 2x the normal speed. Does anyone know where the adjustment is for the speed? Or is it controlled by anything on a board?

Thanks
Old 27th Feb 2019, 12:57 am   #89
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

2 recent additions to the fisher collection.

The top one is a UK spec Fisher studio standard FVH-P725

The bottom one is a German version again a FVH-P725.

I have another of these in the gold colour which is fully working.

These are identical other than the German one doesn't have the first 4 channels named. And has a dimmer for the display. Notice all the German machines don't say where they are made on the front panel. Uk spec ones do. All but one of my fisher machines is made in Japan. My FVH-P716 is made in West Germany.

Both these machines are now fully operational. The UK spec one took alot of work, the rectifier board had gone bad, all belts and idler were perished. And the reel brakes needed attention.

The trickiest part was the heads, no matter how much cleaning they wouldn't give a good picture. So I changed them over from a donor machine only to find out the bearing had seized. So ended up swapping the top half of the heads over.

Picture is crystal clear and sound albeit mono on this 4 head vcr is very good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190226_181120.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	179100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190226_224616.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	179101  
Closed Thread