UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2004, 9:17 pm   #1
af024
Octode

Default Wanted - Rear Cover for Ultra 63 TV

I have finally got round to restoring an Ultra 63 TV. What I hadn't appreciated however was the very poor condition of the back - the top half has all crumbled away (with most of the bits totally missing) and the bits which do remain dont want to glue back on.

If anyone has any suggestions - or better still a good condition back I'd be very grateful indeed.

And I thought that the electronics were going to be the problem!! NOT SO!!

Fingers crossed.

Andy
Old 14th Sep 2004, 9:54 pm   #2
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wanted - Rear Cover for Ultra 63 TV

Andy
If you cannot aquire a replacement you can use some thin board material (From B&Q or some local woodyard) and use the original rear cover as a prototype to model from: this is fine if the cover is flat and has a square CRT cover, if the cover is shaped and the CRT cover is conical a bit more work is required
Old 15th Sep 2004, 7:56 pm   #3
af024
Octode

Yes, thanks for that. I was considering something like hardboard at one point, but I have no idea how I would cut out all those fiddly little elongated vent holes. I suppose that the original must have been pressed somehow. It looks like multi-layered cardboard (as opposed to fibre). It's also got a half moon slot (for the focus lever to pertrude through). There's a B&Q near where I work so I'll go and have a nosy. Perhaps I could get some hardboard with pre-drilled holes in it that I can elongate with a file or something.

Mmmmmmmm .... challenges challenges ...

Cheers,

Andy
Old 15th Sep 2004, 10:14 pm   #4
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

To cut ventholes and other shapes think you need a jigsaw (powered or unpowered) which is a saw with a fine thin blade
Old 16th Sep 2004, 6:05 pm   #5
af024
Octode

I guess I could try that but I'm not sure whether I'd get the precision I'm looking for. If needs must ....

Thanks again,

Andy
Old 16th Sep 2004, 6:32 pm   #6
peter_scott
Dekatron

You might find that Millboard from Woolies is closer
to the original material. It is dark grey in colour so you
might need to paint it. (See item 48 )

Regards,

Peter.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/sundries.html
Old 14th Dec 2004, 1:56 am   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: TV BACK PROBLEM

Hi Den.

A conveniently seasonal suggestion should the dimensions happen to be about right would be one of the plastic bowls that Christmas puddings tend to come in. A friend a while back found one of the most common size to be ideally proportioned for replacing an unaccountably missing h.f. unit rear enclosure in a Leak Sandwich loudspeaker. Various colours are available, but it's not always easy to check which you're getting when you buy the pudding: on the back of a TV most would probably look better with a coat of dark brown paint anyway...

Paul

Last edited by Station X; 29th Dec 2004 at 8:16 pm. Reason: Import
Old 14th Dec 2004, 10:23 am   #8
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re:  TV BACK PROBLEM

Hi Paul well its a seasonal idea Mrs Peaks springs to mind, and may well work with the addition of a few fixing brackets, the original had a flange fixing !! it would at least be a quick fix til I could find something more sturdy regards Den
Old 14th Dec 2004, 1:12 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re:  TV BACK PROBLEM

Try looking around the plumbing section of B&Q as well. Certain types of bottle traps used on hand basins have similar dimensions. It will need spraying black or dark brown but it will be sturdy and can be sawn down quite easily. I've seen it done!

Rich.