UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2018, 1:44 pm   #1
LukeG83
Hexode

Default Tricity Vogue Fridge

Hi, can someone help to give me an approximate date of manufacture for my Tricity Vogue fridge. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3618.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	163544   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3615.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	163545   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3616.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	163546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3619.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	163547  
Old 26th May 2018, 3:00 pm   #2
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Default Re: Tricity Vogue Fridge

What colours are the wires in the mains lead?. Assumiing the lead is original, if they are red black and green, then it dates from before July 1970, If they are brown blue green/yellow, then it dates from 1970 onwards (or the lead has been replaced). If you have the instructions, there might be plug wiring instructions giving the colours it was sold with in there.
Old 26th May 2018, 3:38 pm   #3
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Can't edit my previous post, but I've just found this old advert on Ebay for Tricity Fridges from "c1964" https://www.ebay.it/itm/152888394369, which shows a Tricity Vogue that looks like yours. In view of this, I think its likely that the "265" in your serial number (3rd photo) is a date code for 1965
Old 26th May 2018, 7:08 pm   #4
LukeG83
Hexode

Oh wow, that's amazing to think it's still working after 50+ years. Thanks for your help.

Is there anything I can do to aid the longevity of such an appliance?
Old 26th May 2018, 7:32 pm   #5
sexton_mallard
Hexode

That is a lovely looking fridge! Love the trim around the corners and edges. Does the compressor run quietly still?

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 26th May 2018 at 7:57 pm.
Old 26th May 2018, 7:47 pm   #6
LukeG83
Hexode

Yes it's almost silent. Works very well and is immaculate inside still after all this time!

I
Old 26th May 2018, 7:59 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

To prolong its life: vacuum any dust off the rear 'radiator' every couple of weeks and defrost on the same schedule - this maintenance will give the compressor an easier life in its old-age.

Biggest 'killers' of fridges/freezers I've found are when the insulation in the carcase age-degrades and goes crumbly (meaning you then get the insulation taking-up condensation which leads to invasive rust in the outer shell) and similar age-related failure of the plastic inner shell - which can develop both major structural cracks and much finer surface-crazing - this latter providing a great place for bacteria/moulds to become established which then becomes a bit of a health-hazard.
Old 26th May 2018, 11:53 pm   #8
space_charged
Hexode

I'm still using the Prestcold fridge my parents gave me. It was bought in 1964 and has been in use ever since. Apart from its mains flex having to be replaced, I've not had to do anything to it. Oh I did replace the internal light with an LED one. Not because it failed, just because the LED is brighter and doesn't produce much heat.
Old 27th May 2018, 12:19 am   #9
paulsherwin

That is a very attractive fridge. The styling certainly looks mid 60s.

The three things that often fail on old fridges are the compressor motor itself, the thermostat and the door seals. The most likely fault is bad seals - if they are leaking, the freezer compartment will ice up badly after a month or two.
Old 28th May 2018, 3:44 am   #10
usradcoll1
Heptode

Many of our older fridges were damaged BER by a person trying to remove an ice buildup in the freezer compartment by using a ice pick or a screw driver to remove the buildup. The walls in the evaporator are thin and damaged very easily and letting the refrigerant escape.
Old 28th May 2018, 5:47 pm   #11
space_charged
Hexode

Yes, its easy to damage the evaporator of a fridge. That is particularly true of a "modern" one that has an aluminium evaporator. My vintage Prestcold has a copper one that has been coated/plated with something that looks silvery.

An all copper system avoids the scourge of modern fridges which is the pressed aluminium to copper seal. That is the most likely cause of slow loss of refrigerant. The copper/aluminium joint is subject also to electrolytic corrosion. Often the joint is painted or coated to reduce that effect.

Last edited by space_charged; 28th May 2018 at 5:59 pm.
Old 28th May 2018, 9:54 pm   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

I use an old cylinder vac on "blow" to rapidly defrost fridges and freezers. It is also very effective in getting them bone dry once all the ice has gone.
Old 29th May 2018, 1:24 am   #13
Refugee
Dekatron

I have always used a large SLA battery and a large processor fan to clear ice.
It is much quieter than a cleaner on blow.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:01 am   #14
duncanlowe
Nonode

A bowl of hot water was my defrosting favourite, before we got frost free stuff.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:03 pm   #15
LukeG83
Hexode

Thanks for all the advice, and the help in dating this appliance.

I picked this fridge up last week off Facebook Marketplace and paid £15. Bit of a gamble as the working condition was unknown, but the fridge has been in operation almost a week now and appears to be Ok.

Fingers crossed(!)
Old 29th May 2018, 3:12 pm   #16
space_charged
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
A bowl of hot water was my defrosting favourite, before we got frost free stuff.
I always use this method. I just put two metal pans filled with hot water in the freezing compartment. Its ready to go again in a couple of hours. I always give the insides a good clean and a quick spray with 0.1% BAK.
Closed Thread