UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2013, 3:41 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Unknown component

Just out of curiosity could anyone tell me what these are? They were removed from my girlfriend's 5 yr old telly - I took it to bits prior to taking to the tip. A couple of nice speakers, a choke and a small clean pile of resistors, caps, regulators, and copper wire etc. I especially find the connecting wire useful. A shame, but who wants recent crt tv's?
These things were on a small board around the tube neck. They do not seem to be diodes - very high resistance both ways if not o/c. And no component code printed on, just a coloured ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown component.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	87096  

Last edited by greenstar; 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:43 pm. Reason: info
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 3:53 pm   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Unknown component

Spark gaps?
T
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 4:04 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Almost certainly from the location.
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 4:18 pm   #4
greenstar
Octode

I had no idea something like that would be used. Then I know very little about these circuits - I would have thought voltage would be regulated in a more subtle way! Thanks.
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 4:26 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's not for regulation, it's to prevent damage to the electronics in the event of a CRT flash-over. It provides a low impedance path near to the source.
Closed Thread