UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2013, 3:20 pm   #1
kevinski
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valves

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around valves and what the pins are and where they go to. Using the information from the Valve Museum website I can sort of understand some of the names etc but what I'm stumbling over is the letters and numbers that are inside brackets i.e.

PCL83 pin 1 = a(t).

I presume that a = anode but can't for the life of me work out what the (t) means. Any help or a pointer in the direction of a website would be much appreciated.

Kevin
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 3:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Valves

The PCL83 contains two valves in one envelope, a triode and a pentode. a(t) is the triode anode, and a(p) is the pentode anode.
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 3:29 pm   #3
kevinski
Retired Dormant Member

What about pin 6 which just has a and nothing in brackets. Is that the pentode anode or something different. I am working on a Black Box which also has an ECC82 valve which has nubers in brackets i.e. pin 1 = a(2). What would that mean?

Kevin
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 4:01 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

This site merits extensive examination, methinks
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aai0081.htm
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 5:21 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinski View Post
What about pin 6 which just has a and nothing in brackets. Is that the pentode anode or something different. I am working on a Black Box which also has an ECC82 valve which has nubers in brackets i.e. pin 1 = a(2). What would that mean?

Kevin
Yes, in that example a(t) is the triode anode and a is the pentode anode. When a valve is a double triode the first triode will be marked a/g/k and the second a(2)/g(2)/k(2). There's some variation but it all makes sense if you think about it, especially if you refer to a diagram of the valve.
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 5:39 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Before getting involved with the electrode connections, have you grasped the basics of the modern valve numbering system? By which I mean that for the ECC81, E tells you it has 6.3V heaters, C tells you it's a triode and CC a double triode, and the 81 tells you it's a B9A base. When you can use that info to figure out what the valve is, understanding the designation of the connections follows fairly easily.
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 6:09 pm   #7
kevinski
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Bazz, I had no idea they meant anything. Is there a website or a list somewhere where these are listed?

Thanks Paul, you're quite right, once some kind soul like yourself points you in the right direction it does have a logic that makes sense.

Restoration73, checked out that site as mentioned in my first post but I couldn't find a suitable starting point that coincided with my lack of knowledge lol.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 6:21 pm   #8
paulsherwin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullard...be_designation
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 7:01 pm   #9
kevinski
Retired Dormant Member

Brilliant Paul, many thanks

Kevin